Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C-channel creation

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
ZFerrarini
411 Views, 12 Replies

C-channel creation

In Inventor 2023, the only way I found to create a structural member was to create a part with of the length I want, then insert it in an assembly and use the "Insert Frame" to get the profile I need. In this way I end up with one assembly + 1 part with the sketch + one folder with more files in it.

Coming from Solidworks, all this wasn't necessary: I just created one part with the profile.

Is there a way in Inventor to do the same or at least cut down the number of files needed?

Thank you in advance.

ZFerrarini_0-1719493839739.png

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jtylerbc
in reply to: ZFerrarini

It's not necessary in Inventor either.  Just use "Open from Content Center" to get the channel part directly instead of having to place it in an assembly.

Message 3 of 13
blandb

In your assembly, make sure you are on the Assembly tab > click the down arrow under Place and choose place from Content Center.

blandb_0-1719495127157.png

Browse to structural shapes and choose the channel. Select the size and enter the length you want, and if you make sure the radio button for place as custom is selected (should be by default) then it will place an independent part into your assembly. Now just open that part and place your features. You can always right click on the part in the assembly and choose change size to alter the length if needed.

What you were trying to do is if you were going to use frame generator to make a weldment.

Hope that helps

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 13
ZFerrarini
in reply to: jtylerbc

Is it "Open from Content Center" or "Place from Content Center" like in the other answer I got?

Message 5 of 13
ZFerrarini
in reply to: blandb

Why do I need an assembly? Can't I just keep the part?

Message 6 of 13
blandb

Either one, if you open then it will create the part and open it in its own window. Then you have to place that into an assembly later...so, then you can just have your assembly already open and choose "Place" then it will create the part and also place it into the assembly. Just depends on what stage you are in and what you are doing.

Message 7 of 13
ZFerrarini

I want to make sure if getting rid of the member assembly won't create problems down the line.

Also I don't understand why you need to start from an assembly to get a part with the member.

Message 8 of 13
blandb

Using a non-frame generation workflow here......If I am making a platform weldment with channels, I will start with an assembly (as I know I need that to place the components into to make the weldment). Then I will choose "Place from content center" so then it will automatically make the part place the component into the assembly I am making. I will open the part directly and make mods as needed, or I might just constrain that component where I want it to go, and then make the mods to the part. Alternatively, you can just open from CC, make all your parts, and then start a new assembly, then place all said parts you created and then constrain them together. either way you get the same result.

Using a frame generator work flow, you will need to create a skeleton sketch first, and then place that into an assembly, then place your members on your skeleton sketch. Then do the miters/copes, etc to your platform.

You don't NEED to make an assembly first, it is just a workflow.

Message 9 of 13
ZFerrarini

About "you can just open from CC, make all your parts, and then start a new assembly": sounds like I can start one part from the content center. If this is correct, I can't find a way how to it. Can you explain it to me please?

Message 10 of 13
jtylerbc

@ZFerrarini wrote:

Is it "Open from Content Center" or "Place from Content Center" like in the other answer I got?

"Place from Content Center" puts it the channel into an assembly, but without using the Frame Generator like you did the first time.

"Open from Content Center" just creates the part without needing an assembly, which seems to be what you're asking for.  You can then use it on its own or add it to an assembly like any other part if needed.

Edited to add:  Everything that has been said in the thread so far has been technically true.  However, most of it is overcomplicating what you originally asked for.  

Message 11 of 13
ZFerrarini

Ihave trouble founding the command "Open from Content Center" to create a part.

Message 12 of 13
jtylerbc

File - Open - Open from Content Center

Capture.PNG

Message 13 of 13
ZFerrarini

I see. Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report