Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

By Standard confusion

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tav98f
177 Views, 4 Replies

By Standard confusion

I have a drawing with a lot of existing dimensions.  

I don't know exactly what happened but when I opened my drawing all of my dimensions had changed format (probably something I did but I don't know how)

To fix this I have a style that I imported called TVR and set to be the active style (Manage>Styles Editor>Standard>[selected imported style and right clicked]>Active.  There is a blue box next to the name of the style I would like to be the active standard.  

None of the dimension formats have changed...

I checked the dimensions (select a dimension and look at Annotate>Format) and they show the format to be By Standard (Default (ANSI)).  

However if I create a new dimension and check its format it shows By Standard (Default (TVR)) as I would expect.  

Should changing the active standard change dimensions that have been created with the "By Standard" format?  

Is there some update button I am missing somewhere?  

If not then what is the point of using "By Standard" if not to globally change them in a drawing file by selecting a new active standard?  

Note: for completeness I have verified that under Manage>Styles Editor>Object Defaults>TVR>[all of the applicable dimension object types]>Object Style are set to TVR and not Default (ANSI).  

Apologies for including my version in the original post:

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2022; Build: 492, Release: 2022.4.1

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blandb
in reply to: tav98f

If you updated styles and saved them to the style library, you would of had to open that drawing then choose "Update" to manually update the local styles in the drawing to the global styles in the style library, and you would see a change in the dims that are being used. If you have dims placed on a drawing, and you want to switch them to a different dimension you can choose them 1 by 1 or in your selection filter choose > Select All Inventor Dims > Then in the style drop down choose what dim style you want to place them on. When you go to create a new dimension, you can choose to have it go "By Standard" which is what is set in the object defaults, or you can choose to place a different style.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 5
tav98f
in reply to: blandb

@blandb I am aware that it can be done the way you described but I would like to keep all of my dimensions as "By Standard" so that all dimensions that are set to "By Standard" can be updated if the active standard is changed.  

Am I misunderstanding what "By Standard" is used for?  

Message 4 of 5
blandb
in reply to: tav98f

By standard for anything such as parts list, rev table, dimension, etc is the default style used. It is set in the object defaults. So anytime you start any new annotation it will always be "by standard" by default meaning use what is in the object default. Unless, users have make the change in Tools > Application Options > Drawing Tab > "Default Object Style" has been changed from By standard to Last used. This will always just use the last style selected.

blandb_0-1722519452305.png

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 5 of 5
tav98f
in reply to: blandb

Okay, I think I understand then.  By Standard was never meant to have the functionality I had expected.  

Thank you for the explanation.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report