Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug: PDF/DXF/DWG export results in very bad resolution for text and DWG emboss

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2359 Views, 2 Replies

Bug: PDF/DXF/DWG export results in very bad resolution for text and DWG emboss

For a hobby project, I need to design a laser cut acrylic case. This case should also feature laser cut engravings like text and a logo.

As the Laser Cutter only has a very limited interface, I need to create a PDF with colored lines (red = cut, black = engrave) with scale 1:1. This on its own is achievable with the Drawing editor in Inventor 2017.

The problem is that embossed text and DWG/DXF logos on Parts do not get exported to PDF properly: The curves are not exported as true curves but as line segments with low resolution for text/paths that are about below 5mm in letter size. Paths get offset by rounding errors (even the non-emboss paths). The path widths (defined by the Layer Style) have no impact on the resulting path widths in the PDF. They always keep the same, which is not working out for manufacturing. The colors work though.

And this does not depend on Vector DPI settings, nor does it on exporting to other formats such as DWG or DXF, exporting the surface in the Part Editor (to DXF) or printing with a PDF printer driver. All the exports loose in quality and larger scaling is not an option.

Luckily I found a workaround:

1. Open the original .dwg in Autodesk DWG TrueView 2017
  2. File (the "D" symbol top left of the window) > Export > PDF
  3. Set Precision in the Output Controls group to "For Manufacturing" or create a custom preset.
  4. Save. Path widths and colors are exported correctly and the curves have now a much better resolution.

I hope Autodesk is willing to fix this bug, as it is hindering people from designing small scale parts.

Best Regards

Markus

The Inventor part to be laser cut (45mm x 45mm x 2mm):

part.PNG

The text emboss features high resolution:

part2.PNG

The Inventor Drawing with red and black lines for the export to the laser cutter:

drawing_screen.PNG

Also high resolution here:

drawing_screen_2.PNG

The export dialog (4800 DPI):

export.PNG

Bad resolution in the PDF:

pdf.PNG

As a workaround open the .dwg in Autodesk DWG TrueView:trueview.PNG

Export a PDF with a high precision:

trueview2.PNG

And the resulting PDF with high precision:

pdf_fixed.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
EvanGu
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Markus,

Looks a requirement to enhance the quality of pdf, I have reported it to the development team, track ID 137708. Thanks for your detailed report.

Evan Gu
Inventor/Fusion QA Engineer
Message 3 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Markus,

There may be some things you can do now to overcome the limitations of your laser cutter..

Have you tried to export the face from the flat pattern?

In the ipt file create a flat pattern of your part and then right click on the flat pattern node in the model browser and select "save copy as" and you can save it as a dwg or dxf.. Once you hit save a dialog box comes up that allows you to map certain layers to colors and also control how curves are changed to line segements,etc..

Note: you will need to do your nesting in Autocad and export to your laser from there..

EXPORTFACE.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report