Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREAK CENTERLINE WHEN IT GOES THROUGH A DIMENSION

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
3062 Views, 3 Replies

BREAK CENTERLINE WHEN IT GOES THROUGH A DIMENSION

I looked through the forum and saw where someone posted the same problem back in 2014.  at that time there was no solution.

it may be possible now but I did not see the answer. 

when you are making a drawing and you have a centerline going the length of your part, you add a dimension.  the centerline goes right through it.  how can you break it?

I try to use different horizontal lines to put a centerline in but sometimes I don't have that luxury.  i'm not a fan of moving dimensions around, like everything to look neat.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
kelly.young
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous there's no way to break the automatically generated Centerline Bisector into multiple centerline segments.

There are a few workarounds that require a bit more work. 

I was hoping to create a Sketch Symbol with Symbol Clipping turned on, but after testing it doesn't trim the centerline, just the dimension lines:

SymbolClip.png

You can create a Sketch on the view and draw in your own multi segment centerlines and change the Properties...Line Type.

SketchCenterline.png

If you have a good example to share maybe we can come up with something a bit better.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 3 of 4
kelly.young
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous I was looking through centerline ideas today and here is the one that I believe corresponds with your request:

IDEA: Split Centerline At Dimension

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

Yes, that's it! I'm not sure why inventor does not have that as standard. It really needs to be added as a standard feature. I was sure someone had posted or inquired about it but just did not see it in the forum.
thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report