Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Braid Hose

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
3579 Views, 6 Replies

Braid Hose

Hi

There seems no Metal Braid cosmetic material to apply to a rubber hose in Inventor 2019. Can an image be used to apply a material?

I attached an image. Can this be applied?

Cheers

JS

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Lewis.Young
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

Is this what you're looking for?

Found it stored here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\Textures\1\Mats

Create a new metal appearance, set the relief pattern to custom and set the image.

Lewis Young
Windows 7 x64 - 32GB Ram
Intel Xeon E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz
nVidia Quadro M2000 - 4GB
Inventor Professional 2017.3
Vault Basic 2017
3ds Max 2018

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Lewis.Young

Thanks Lewis

Thanks

JS

Message 4 of 7
jtylerbc

If there hadn't been an existing one that could be used, it is possible to make an Appearance that maps an image to the surface.  However, the particular picture you show wouldn't be very conducive to doing so.  You would need a picture that's more of a straight-on view of the hose itself, without the end fitting visible.  It would end up looking a lot like the texture image that Lewis pointed out.

At my previous job we used this method to replicate the look of a hose that had a black and green patterned cloth braid, similar to this one.  We took the picture ourselves using a sample of the actual hose material and a digital camera, then cropped it as necessary to get rid of background around the hose.  The results weren't perfect, but they were good enough for our purposes.

Braided Hose.PNG

It sounds like your question is pretty much taken care of, but I just wanted to point out that it is possible to do this the way you were originally intending.  You would just have needed a better picture to work from.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks John

Message 6 of 7
mpatchus

We use braided hose all the time.  Just create a material style and use it for your content center hose family.

Here's a sample image, and I've attached two possible braid textures you could use.  Tweak them as desired to get the results to your liking.

braided hose.png

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mpatchus

Thanks Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report