Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Varies error in Excel

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
shajan_durairaj
271 Views, 12 Replies

BOM Varies error in Excel

Hello all,

I am using a customized content center part and inserted a multiple numbers in assembly.

shajan_durairaj_0-1721035131912.png

In that item no 8, in that the POS.no is mentioned as 8 that i have given through instance property because i cant able to add in content center as this number change with respective with the sub-assembly. but in Inventor BOM it looks good, But after exporting the BOM to excel the thumbnail is not showing and it is mentioned as varies.

shajan_durairaj_1-1721035296164.png

Can you guys give a solution how to get the thumbnail after adding the instance property, or other way to add that number.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JoshuaNAM
in reply to: shajan_durairaj

Hi,

I think it would be recommendable to unselect "Part Row Merge" in the BOM editor. Then check if all the parts that are being merged are identical. "Varies" in this case means that there are parts in your assembly that are being merged but have a different thumbnail.

I hope this helps you out a bit!

Kind regards,

Joshua

Message 3 of 13

Hi! This could be a bug or there are incompatible property values between the member components merged in the same row. Please share the files here. I would like to understand the "Various" value better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 13
shajan_durairaj
in reply to: JoshuaNAM

After Doing those steps also the error is still there,

The value I have given through the instance property in the BOM that is affecting the thumbnail but I noticed there is no change in the thumbnail,

I need a solution that after adding the instance property also the thumbnail to be visible, please give a solution if possible.

Message 5 of 13

Hi Sir,

As per your request the step file is attached for your reference, please have a look and give the solution if possible because I was trying this for long time.

Message 6 of 13

Hi! Please zip up all the Inventor files (iam and ipt) and share it here. The iam file is just a wrapper referencing other iam and ipt files.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 13

Hi Sir,

The document is attached for reference.

Message 8 of 13

Hi Shajan,

Many thanks for sharing the files! But it does not look the same as the images you posted earlier. Please tell me the steps to reproduce the exact behavior on Test.iam.

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 13

Hi Sir,

Can you check this Zip file Please and let me know you are still facing the same.

Message 10 of 13

Hi! I think I have to show what I saw on my machine. This is the BOM table I am seeing when opening the attached assembly. It does not look like the image you attached earlier. Please show me the exact steps to reproduce the problem. I am very bad at guessing.

Many thanks! 

johnsonshiue_0-1721766806927.png

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 13

Hi Sir,

Sorry for the confusion, the one which you are seeing in your machine is same as the picture which i attached at first (That is full assembly, for test i gave small sub assembly)

shajan_durairaj_3-1721793070823.png

shajan_durairaj_2-1721793048941.png

And the second picture is exported to Excel.

Now i will add the problem which i am getting and the procedure to make that.

shajan_durairaj_4-1721793236559.png

Above mentioned both two are the content center part and in that content center table properties i added some properties and the same will reflect through out the assembly.

shajan_durairaj_6-1721793415722.png

like this above mentioned bought out property is mentioned in the content center table and when i inserted HEX.HEAD SCREW it will display and if you see in the POS (position) that will change with respective to the size and place we are attaching, So i need to have a different position number through out the assembly to where i added.

So i though of adding the position number in the instance property.

shajan_durairaj_8-1721793643794.pngshajan_durairaj_9-1721793661620.png

And want to change the drawing number too in instance property

shajan_durairaj_10-1721793702760.png

After adding that it will become like this

shajan_durairaj_11-1721793725086.png

Now i am going to export the BOM in excel

Without adding the instance property, the BOM will look like this

shajan_durairaj_12-1721793829171.png

But after adding that

shajan_durairaj_13-1721793887526.png

when we given the instance property the thumbnail is coming as varies apart from that everything looks good, 

This is my query and whether it can be solved or any other way to give a position and drawing number in the BOM For the content center files.

Hope you understand if you have more clarification, please revert.

Message 12 of 13

Hi! Many thanks for sharing the detail steps! I can reproduce the behavior on my machine. Indeed, this seems to be related to the existence of Instance Properties. The instance property merges the rows by default. They are supposed to be different rows since each instance has a property value. Inventor assumes they have different thumbnails. As a result, they are exported as "Varies."

If you click on "Part Number Row Merge Settings" button in the middle at the top of the BOM dialog and uncheck "Merge Instances Rows," you will see the thumbnails will look right (no "Varies"). But each instance is listed as a separate row, which is not desirable either. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to get the desirable result.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 13

Thank you for your reply, Sir. I understand that it cannot be done.

If you got any answer in future, means pls let me know.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report