Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM thumbnails in drawing BOM

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
DraftID
422 Views, 11 Replies

BOM thumbnails in drawing BOM

Is there a way to make a BOM on a drawing sheet but have it include the thumbnail images for each part similar to what you would see when you export to excel?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
A.Acheson
in reply to: DraftID

I would think the closest you can get is to import the exported excel BOM into the drawing. Have you tried that approach?

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
Message 3 of 12
DraftID
in reply to: A.Acheson

That was my though as well. Its a work machine so need to get excel installed before I can give it a try though.

Message 4 of 12
pcrawley

The result is ugly - unless you make sure the thumbnails are all correct.  Often, a part edited in the context of an assembly will include bits of the assembly in the thumbnail.  There is iLogic code out there for opening and updating thumbnails - but it is time consuming.

The other problem is that the Excel object is pasted as an OLE object - so there's a limit to the amount of data you can paste - and the thumbnail bitmaps typically get compressed and become pixelated.  If you want this for presentation purposes, this probably isn't going to work.

Peter
Message 5 of 12
DraftID
in reply to: pcrawley

Thanks for the detailed answer. The idea was to make it easier for the assemblers to identify parts from the pick list. Do you think it would be better to just go the intended way and export the bom to excel which would be which would be printed out as part of the drawing pack?

Message 6 of 12
pcrawley

As much as I hate to admit defeat, yes.  You'll get a much cleaner looking BOM if it is printed from Excel.

Peter
Message 7 of 12
DraftID
in reply to: pcrawley

In reply to pasting back into inventor as an OLE object and the size limit. Would an alternative be to print as PDF and then copy the PDF back into inventor as a work around to the OLE limitations?

Message 8 of 12
A.Acheson

I would say the easiest would be to pdf from excel and compile the drawing pdf and thumbnails pdf.

Regards
Alan
Message 9 of 12
DraftID
in reply to: A.Acheson

Compile as in use indesign or similar to make a new document and merge the pdfs?

Message 10 of 12
A.Acheson

Merge the pdf's correct. If this is a super common thing you could even do the merging by code but it is more complicated. You could automate the bom/ partlist export and then thumnail pdf and drawing merge. Totally up to your frequency of operation and skill level in ilogic/vba of course. 

Regards
Alan
Message 11 of 12
DraftID

Good point. Might be able to create a python app to palce and merge a cover sheet or something. Thanks for all the help.

Message 12 of 12
johan.degreef

Seems handy - maybe submit as a new topic in idea station?

Inventor 20250, Vault Professional 2025, Autocad Plant 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report