Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Structure propagating to other assemblies

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
DGodwin-XRG
197 Views, 1 Reply

BOM Structure propagating to other assemblies

Hi folks, I have two assemblies (Assembly A and Assembly B), and an item used in both (Component). Assembly  A is using that component as a normal component, all is well. Assembly B uses the component only as a Reference in the drawings and while modelling to help as a visual representation to show how Assembly B is used.

In my opinion, I should be able to make the component "Normal" in Assembly A's BOM, and "Reference" in Assembly B's BOM. Instead, I'm finding that the Component's structure is propagating everywhere it's used (Inventor 2023). So this workflow doesn't fly. Is this expected behavior?

As a workaround, I suppose I will need to set it as Normal and make manual overrides in the drawing to remove it from the Parts' List and label it as a reference item. Still, seems like odd behavior.

Thanks

Darsey

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
DGodwin-XRG
in reply to: DGodwin-XRG

Following up - I've learned that while inside the Assembly, editing the BOM and changing component structures from Normal to Reference will change the item's document properties directly, and that to change it locally in the assembly, we are supposed to right-click the item in the tree and change it to a local reference there in that context menu.

My issue was that I thought I should be able to change it from the BOM and have that be a feature of the Assembly's BOM, not a window into the Components themselves. All part of the learning curve.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report