Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolted connection not allowing hole selection and not working on sheet metal assembly

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
TomE8
830 Views, 5 Replies

Bolted connection not allowing hole selection and not working on sheet metal assembly

Hello,

I have an assembly with multiple sheet metal parts that I want bolted together. The sheet metal already has the clearance hole for a 3/8 bolt where I want to place the connection (made with the hole command and then patterned). I click the starting surface, but then when I try selecting the hole (see screenshot), it won't highlight or select. I have tried with a hole on both sheets as well and that doesn't work either.

I am trying to use the "by hole" type because I want to place bolts in a pattern of holes. However, out of curiosity, I did try creating a bolted connection with "linear" placement where there was no hole. It allowed me to create a preview of the connection, but when I hit apply it failed and gave an error (see screenshots). It gave the same error trying to place the connection through just one or both sheets.

I don't know if I am just using the tool wrong, or if there is a different workflow I should use, or if this is a bug, but I appreciate any help with this. For reference, I am using Inventor 2022 with the latest updates installed. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: TomE8

I think this might be a software limitation,but I'm not sure without a sample. See this thread (and the linked reply):

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/bolted-connection-issue/m-p/9858232/highlight/true#M80...

@jan_priban any further insight about this in 2022.2.1 or if the above can be tested somehow? Thank you.

Message 3 of 6
jan_priban

Hello Tom,

From images you pasted here I am not able to see entire your dataset, but see please my video - it shows that Bolted Connection works smoothly in assembly consists on sheet metal parts - Inventor R 2022

Regards

Jan Priban

Message 4 of 6
TomE8
in reply to: jan_priban

Thank you Galaxyban and Jan for your replies.

Jan,

I watched your video and was able to do the same on the assembly you attached.

However, I am still unable to do it on my assembly. I have attached it, so you can try it out for yourself. Thanks again!

Message 5 of 6
jan_priban

Hi Tom,

the issue you see is Bolted Connection limitation. In my sheet metal model Bolted Connection work because I did not create fold / bend. So hole in my model remains in its original position. While you dataset has hole that has moved with / along Fold feature, so hole has been moved. In this case Bolted Connection is not able to identify such moved hole. Such hole is not "hole" feature that Bolted Connection reacts on, such hole is part of Fold feature that Bolted Connection does not work with.

Sorry, it is Inventor limitation. Please use Place from Content Center + AutoDrop option On and insert bolt/nut manually.

Regards

Jan Priban

Message 6 of 6
TomE8

Okay, thank you for letting me know Jan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report