Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill of Material Structured Quantity

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
vkubany
1517 Views, 8 Replies

Bill of Material Structured Quantity

Working with an assembly BOM under the structured tab, is it possible to have the children of sub assemblies within the main assembly multiply the quantity of the child components by the quantity of the parent components? I want to export a BOM which is structured and have it show the required quantity for all components for the entire job. This means that a sub assembly of quantity 2 will multiply the child component quantities in this sub assembly by 2.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
swalton
in reply to: vkubany

Try the Parts Only tab and see if that gets you what you want.

I am not aware of a way to get the structured tab to behave like you want.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 9
vkubany
in reply to: swalton

The parts only tab does not seem to break down the sub assemblies.

Message 4 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! I have heard this request before. It is about the ability to combine Structured BOM and PartOnly BOM. The request is not currently doable in Inventor BOM unfortunately. You might want to check Inventor App store and see if there is an app to do that. Or, you will need to export the BOM table to Excel and then manually change it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 9
vkubany
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you for your input, that greatly helps. We currently do not use Vault, but would this software have the capability to export the structured BOM with the correct quantities?

Message 6 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! I don't believe Vault will help here. Please note that the quantity is correct based on the structure. What you are asking is called ERP system quantity. You want to show the total number of parts in a subassembly and also you want to count how many subassemblies you need. This is the same data but viewed in different levels.

Inventor BOM table is pretty binary. Either you collapse the structure (Parts Only) or you preserve the structure (Structured).

What you want is a way to display the Part Only BOM view for a given subassembly in a Structured view. This kind of hybrid representation is not available. You may want to check Inventor App store to see if there is a vendor app doing exactly that. But, there is no out-of-box solution.

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/List/Search?isAppSearch=True&searchboxstore=INVNTOR&facet=&coll...

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 9
rhasell

Hi

Try this iLogic code. It will create a custom field based on a unique project number.

(Post 26)

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/part-assembly-quantities/m-p/8991593/highlight/true#M7...

You can then use the Quantity entry in any manner you desire.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 8 of 9
vkubany
in reply to: rhasell

Thank you rhasell, This almost does what I am looking for. I do need it to include the content center components which this code does not. Also this code adds the quantity of all the like parts at each part level. Meaning, if a subassembly of qty 2 with a part of qty 1 in the sub assembly will show as qty 2 unless this part is used somewhere else in the BOM, then the qty will be displayed as the total qty in the entire BOM. See the attached file.

Message 9 of 9
rhasell

Hi

Yup, the code works perfectly. If you want to get quantities lower down in the tree, then run the rule from the specific sub assemblies, or if needed, create a dummy assembly.

Just remember, this does not update automatically, and will never be 100% foolproof, but it's 100% better than doing it manually. (Also iParts and iAssemblies can occasionally produce undesirable results, they might have to be manual)

The code does not do the content center parts, as they are read only components. The only workaround I can think of is to pull the components out of the content center. Personally it suits me. For example, imagine what will happen to a M16 NUT after a few years of use, it will have a few hundred xxxx_QTY entries in it.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report