Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best computer or laptop to run inventor

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
8879 Views, 8 Replies

Best computer or laptop to run inventor

I am thinking about getting either a laptop or desktop for home to run inventor so i can do work from home. Would like to get a laptop but also don't have a lot to spend on a set up so if a desktop is cheaper i will go that way. What does everyone recommend me to  look for in one? any suggestions for would be grateful. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

It really helps when you tell us the Inventor version you will be using and what type of models will you be creating and modifying at home.

Are you a student or will this be a based on a commercial license?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Sorry i left that stuff out. I design weld fixtures for wire frames. It will be commercial license. We are working with Inventor 17 premium right now. 

Message 4 of 9
mdavis22569

Also what's you're budget? 

I've seen 800.00 laptops work great 

But as Mark asked, what are you going to do on it? 

I had an i7-6700 w/12 gbs and a GTX 960m and it worked great on everything I did 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Inventor (20)17 premium?   No such thing..  Smiley Very Happy

Are you talking about Product Design Suite Premium?   Which would have Inventor (standard) 2017?

How big are your models?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Yes Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2017.  Anywhere from 1659.50 kb to 50,000 kb. or bigger. I will be design mig and resistance weld fixtures, dies, and special machines. Some of the weld fixture assemblies will have over 100 components in it. 

Message 7 of 9
mdavis22569

Surfaces etc in the weld fixtures? 

You can get a good laptop / desktop ..

You could see some lag etc ..but how much are you willing to deal with:

I would look for the following if it's a laptop:

i7 / 16gbs min / GTX 9XX series or higher  

desktop:

i7 / 32 gbs / gtx 10XX series or a good Quadro but if it's home more than likely it won't be in your budget

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
dgorsman

You can get more for a desktop than a laptop of similar cost, so if you don't *need* the portability (e.g. you already have a tablet, or only do generic browsing/email/etc. while mobile) then I'd recommend a desktop.

Another thing which can affect selection is how you're getting the license.  If your expecting to borrow a network license from work, you'll either need to bring in the laptop and get rights to connect it to your network; or you'll need to get VPN or other remote access to the license server from a desktop or laptop.  If this is a single-user Desktop/rental model license, those are managed through Autodesk servers and it's a bit easier, you might need someone with contract admin rights to ensure you can get to the right account.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

Dell Precision mobile workstation

I7 16GB SSD

15" or 17" screen with the Thunderbolt dock and one or two external monitors

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report