Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best backup

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1097 Views, 6 Replies

best backup

Hello

What is the best method for backing up inventor?  Do the seagate type drives work? maintain the structure if a computer had a major crash? what about Sticks?

Also is there a cloud solution? what about plkatforms like carbonite.  Our company is small so big $ is not an option.

thanks

Craig Williams

Mesocore.com

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mflayler
in reply to: Anonymous

If you are using Inventor you can use Vault and that has automatic backup options.  The bigger question is...why are you not using Vault now for archiving projects or performing copy designs?

Even if you only have 1 or 2 users, there are still reasons to use Vault.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 7
mflayler

If you are using Inventor 2015 or 2016 and you have Subscription you can put everything in the A360 Cloud (25GB storage) and access it right through Inventor.

Other storage options that are low cost are Dropbox for Buisness or Box.net (these two just don't have integrations like A360.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mflayler

I am not sure I was given good information but I was told to use vault would be as much as 30k to get setup. Like I said we are primarily just using one seat of our two.  Our version is the building design suite 2013. right now we use mostly inventor some Autocad.  Its on our list to expand to some other applications but just too busy in development so far.

Craig

Mesocore.com

Message 5 of 7
mdavis22569

Contact your reseller .... 

See why they say it's 30k. A basic vault shouldn't be much at all for your IT dept/person to implement. 

If it seems wrong still ..then contact a different reseller.

However you should be using vault or A360..

if it's not possible, then do it with your network backups

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
mflayler

Vault basically costs zero to setup if you do it yourself and you have a machine to put the server console on.

The machine you put it on just needs to be reliable, it doesn't NEED to be an actual server. You could buy another decent cad workstation with lots of RAM, hard drive and preferably a strong network connection. As you grow you can move the server to a more generally accepted machine or VM.

If you have someone come in and set it up, you are looking at about three to four days consulting time to install, configure, and teach you how to fish in the event of issues and upgrading. In your case I would say three just on how many users you have but maybe four if I were to load all or most of your files. None of this would cost 30k, more like a third of that or less. Just an FYI.

Message 7 of 7
Paul-Mason
in reply to: mflayler

BY "BEST BACKUP" do you mean

backing up :-

a) all installed programs, the entire HD?

b) Just your "My documents"?

c) Just the Inventor folder & files?

Then for:-

a) Use a mirror copy program, I use Casper, you'll need a second HD the same capacity as your master for a perfect mirror image. advantage here is if C goes down just change the data cables, if you need to replace the dodgy HD, and run the mirror program to mirror to the new/reformatted HD,

b) Use the Windows file backup, backing up to anywhere you like, I use a third HD for this with a 2TB capacity deleting backups more than 6 month old, saves space and search time when having to, very really, restore data. 

For c) Again use the widows file backup BUT specify which files you want to backup

ALWAYS make sure that you have the LATEST/MOST RECENT systems restore that you backup/mirror at least once a day or more depending on your workload with either method your data  can be saved to a separate HD or external device, all 3 options can be used to backup/mirror to an external device/s you just need to let the program doing that backup/mirror know the source and destination.

YOU MAY, or should I say, WILL loose some of your most recent data depending on the settings that you use in any of these options but loosing some is better than loosing everything.

Personally I used BELT, BRACES and a PEACE OF STING  backup methods in that I mirror daily to internal HD, Windows Folder & File backup weekly to internal HD and usually the Windows Folder & File backup "My Documents"  folders to DVD once a month. Yes I'm old school, about 30 years as a computer user has taught me the hard way that as far as backing up is concerned "you can never backup enough often enough  and to too many locations - that way its always available if the worst happens"

==============
Inventor 2025 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report