Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best app to view 3D Inventor files?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
jgjYRRKE
2664 Views, 18 Replies

Best app to view 3D Inventor files?

Hi all.

I work in an sales office where only a few of my coworkers use Inventor.

However i make parts, 3D presentations and assemblies in Inventor to help promote sale.

So, the salesmen would like to show potential costumers some of the 3D-parts and assemblies that i make, but they dont have Inventor licenses (no need for them).

They have tried "Autodesk Inventor View" and it works, but the image quality is worse than the actual Inventor program.

I find that making a 3D .PDF also works fine, but again looses a lot of quality.

Are there any better way the salesmen can show my Inventor files to potential costumers?

Kind regards

Jesper Green 

Denmark

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
CCarreiras
in reply to: jgjYRRKE

Hi!

Autodesk had a program called SHOW CASE, just for doing that. Was not the best, but it worked.

Unfortunately, they terminated that software, without giving an alternative, so... if you want a quick software, simple to use and always rendered models, you have to go outside Autodesk products.

Try KeySHOT, easy, not expensive, always rendered models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6CPCm3kdlU

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
doug.johnston
in reply to: CCarreiras

Unfortunately Autodesk does not have a "single" program that can be used for viewing models / drawings.

InventorView - can be used for 3D Models

DWGTruView - can be used for 2D Drawings

However, there is no simple program that can be used for online viewing either 3D or 2D …. 

---------------------------------------------------
It's not easy maintaining this level of insanity !!!!!
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 19
JDMather

@jgjYRRKE wrote:

So, the salesmen would like to show potential costumers ...

This https://viewer.autodesk.com/ does not require installation of any app by customers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 19
johnsonshiue

Hi! Yet another option is Autodesk Design Review (DWFx Viewer). Simply export Inventor files to DWFx. Then it can be viewed in Autodesk Design Review or Autodesk Viewer.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 19
leowarren34
in reply to: JDMather

I second @JDMather,

The quality isn't bad and I've used to show what I'm doing for my coursework as this was a time my school didn't have IV, they do now...

No installation and all online, the only downside is that you need to renew any files up there as they expire every 30 days.

Leo Warren
Autodesk Student Ambassador Diamond
Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.
Message 7 of 19
jgjYRRKE
in reply to: JDMather

Thx guys.

I have tried the online viewer and find quality is less than the full Inventor, but i guess it will do in a pinch.

I appreciate your time 🙂

Message 8 of 19
leowarren34

Anytime,

If I find anything better I'll give an update,

Have a good day.

Leo Warren
Message 9 of 19
jgjYRRKE
in reply to: leowarren34

Thank you 😄
Have a nice weekend.

Message 10 of 19

I use 3D Tool. Not cheap, but allows to change colors,measure,markup, and export in a different format. 

https://www.3d-tool.com/

Message 11 of 19
Yashasvi23481

Hi Jesper,

I know this issue is resolved but I prefer 3D PDF and illustrator together. So person with inventor licence converts model to 3D pdf and most sales person use illustrator or adobe photoshop to render images. All the receiver needs is adobe reader. Bear in mind, inventor 3d pdf doesn't support foxit pdf. 

I use it all the time as sales team uses to create layouts and apply colours to model. you can rotate measure and do many things.

Regards,

Yash

Message 12 of 19
jgjYRRKE
in reply to: Yashasvi23481

I agree.

3D pdf has potential.

Downsides are, that textures can not be used and often hidden workplanes are still visible.

Message 13 of 19
leowarren34

Especially since it's an open standard, so much potential and improvement that has the plus side of being ubiquitous.

Leo Warren
Message 14 of 19
jgjYRRKE

So far i have not been able to make any parts look white in the 3D pdf.

I can make the parts in Inventor look white by using apperance "Snow" and adjusting the settings, but when i export to 3D pdf it is grey.

Message 15 of 19
leowarren34

I've had the same issues for ages however I found if your parts are white you can change the lighting but still doesnt help with appearances.

Leo Warren
Message 16 of 19
Yashasvi23481

Hi,

I guess you change the part to snow as original part not override. you need to duplicate the existing material and change the colour to snow in library and then add that new material to library. That way, if original appearance is snow then it will come as snow when you export. By Grey, I believe its mild steel and you are assigning colour as snow. 

Give material as desired colour. 

Regards,

Yash

Message 17 of 19
Yashasvi23481

Hi,

Have a look at these 2 example. example 2 model all bits are green which was required. So I changed the material to green. 

Message 18 of 19
jgjYRRKE

Thx for your input.

I can make green, red, yellow parts and so on in 3D .PDF, but not white 🙂

It is the color white i would like in 3D .PDF.

Message 19 of 19
leowarren34

Finally made materials work but super buggy...

Basically use the IV material library save the part as different name, export as 3d pdf, such a pain.

Leo Warren

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report