Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bathymetric data model

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
830 Views, 6 Replies

Bathymetric data model

I have a bathymetric model of a river bed in a DWG file; I’d like to convert it to a 3D model to perform flow analysis, but can’t find a quick way to do this. So far the only method I’ve come up with has been to import as a 3D sketch into a part file, and then project the geometry to a 2D sketch plane and extrude each section. The problem is with the project geometry command, I can only project one line segment at a time, and there are tens of thousands of them. Is there any way to speed up this process/a different way of doing this?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
swalton
in reply to: Anonymous

Is your data a surface in AutoCAD Civil 3d?  if so you may be able to convert a TIN to AutoCAD dwg 3d data and import that to Inventor.

I have not tried this at all.

See: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/civil-3d/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Convert...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/screencast/Main/Details/...

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 7
mcgyvr

Can you show an image or share the actual DWG file so we can see how the data is in that file? Is it in 2d with just topo lines and text on them representing the elevation.. Or is it a 3d DWG file with correct z heights,etc...

That may help provide the best answer... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Here's a section of the drawing.  It does not have any actual elevation data, just lines w/elevation info next to them. There is only one POV in the drawing as well (top).   When I import into a .ipt file, it imports as a 3D sketch, although really everything is all on the same plane.

RiverBedSection.PNG

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Here is what it looks like after import:RiberBed3D.PNG

As you can see, its a bit of a mess.  If there was an easy way to project 3D geometry, it would cut hours off the time.  I just can't seem to find any other way to do this except line-by-line.

Message 6 of 7
mcgyvr

I'm providing some "guesses" here but I'd bet there is some function in one of the Autocad Maps 3d or Civil 3d programs to go from your topo/contours to a 3d model..

I'd try asking the question over there in those forums..

I'd also hope there was then the ability to export that to a format which Inventor could open.. 

Inventor is really targeted towards electromechanical design and has nothing for "Civil" Engineering issues like this..

A quick search turned me to this thread which "may" be relevant..

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-map-3d-forum/export-contour-layer-for-use-in-civil-3d/td-p/43...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Great, thanks for the advice. I will do that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report