Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch publishing different parts to frame generator

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
francesco.dinh
179 Views, 3 Replies

Batch publishing different parts to frame generator

I've downloaded the .ipt files for various frame profiles from a manufacturer website:

image.png

Now, my main objective is to insert them all in the frame generator for later use. I could do it one by one, but it would take me a long time. Is there a way to do it automatically?

Bonus question: those profiles are divided in families (30mm base width, 40mm base width, etc). Is there a way I could group them, being different non-parametric .ipt files, in families for an easier navigation during frame building?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

@francesco.dinh

Frame generator requires certain things to be in place..

1.  The structure of the file must only have a single extrusion representing the profile that is used.  Do you have that?

2.  The extrusion must be authored for structural shapes.   Have you done that?

3.  A parametric cut length parameter/value.  Do you have that?

4.  Unless I'm reading your info incorrectly..  It sounds like these are all different files and no parametric..   Not saying it can't be separate files but it would work better if like shapes were made into an iPart table structure with dimensional/parametric values.

5.  Do you have a read write content center library?

Update:  If it was me..  i would just create the info myself in Inventor so I could create parametric information and iPart strucuture before authoring and publishing to content center.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 4

Thank you for your reply Mark.

The files were provided as .ipt from a website, those were simple 1000mm extrusions of a base profile.

The problem is that the profile is probably exported from autocad, and no dimensions were put:

image.png

the one you see above is the profile sketch if I try to edit it. It needs 464 dimensions to completely define it Smiley Frustrated

The only lucky thing is that it's centered at the origin, and it's a closed profile with no errors. But it's in no way parametric.

I've tried authoring one to use it as a frame member and it works (I've already used one in a cart project), but I'd have to do it manually for each profile... a nightmare just to think about it.

I was wondering whether there was a "batch authoring" for various profiles. Do you thing that such a think is feasible?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
swalton
in reply to: francesco.dinh

I think that the only workflow for "batch authoring" is to use an ipart.

If I were doing this, I'd build a brand new ipart model that would cover the extrusion families as required.  Once that worked as desired, I'd publish it to the CC and frame generator.  I've never added a new shape to frame generator, so I bet there are specific steps/workflows that work better than others.  Some testing/youtube/helpfile research will be necessary.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report