Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Dimensions & Constraints Tool

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
551 Views, 6 Replies

Automatic Dimensions & Constraints Tool

Is it possible to define an origin and apply ordinate dimensions using the Automatic Dimensions & Constraints Tool in an Inventor sketch?

Capture.PNG                                                   

The example above shows what Inventor does by default. I guess this is okay for removing degrees of freedom but not very useful for editing or maintaining design intent.

Thank You,

Milton

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

Nope..

Not possible..

No replacement for good old human input/time.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

There is actually a replacement in SolidWorks. It's called fully define sketch and it allows you to define your origin and then apply dimensions and constraints. I am finding that Inventor often requires more input and time than SolidWorks for common tasks . Pretty much equivalent programs as far as end capabilities. SolidWorks just allows you to get to the end faster with less steps. I will suggest in the IDEA's section.

Message 4 of 7
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

There is actually a replacement in SolidWorks. It's called fully define sketch and it allows you to define your origin and then apply dimensions and constraints. I am finding that Inventor often requires more input and time than SolidWorks for common tasks . Pretty much equivalent programs as far as end capabilities. SolidWorks just allows you to get to the end faster with less steps. I will suggest in the IDEA's section.

Yes the ideastation is the place that you should post ideas to improve Inventor..

Its certainly not a function I would ever use but others may I guess... 

For what I design and my design style a common origin and all dimensions off it would not work at all for me.. 

I also apply tolerances at the sketch level and pull them into the drawing and they are never off one point either but logically placed based on the needs of the product itself..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

I understand your point. It's not something I use all the time either but it has it's place. I use it to dimension sketches from DXF files or copied sketches. It can save a lot of time. 

Message 6 of 7
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand your point. It's not something I use all the time either but it has it's place. I use it to dimension sketches from DXF files or copied sketches. It can save a lot of time. 

yep... Thats most peoples use case for automatic dimension tools.. 

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi Milton,

Many thanks for sharing the workflow with us! I was not aware of SWX Replacement workflow. I will work with the project team to understand this workflow better and see how we can improve. It is true that in several ways same result can be obtained faster or more straight forward in SWX than INV. However, in many ways, INV is easier to use than SWX. Let's stick to discussing the specific case than over-generalizing it. If you have other cases showing usability concern in INV, please let us know.

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report