Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2017 (Student) Crashes When Starting

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
andyhud09
1288 Views, 13 Replies

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2017 (Student) Crashes When Starting

Whenever I try to start Inventor, the first pop-up shows, and the loading bar makes it about a quarter of the way. Then it sits there for a few seconds, and it just disappears. I checked task manager, and there is no Inventor program running at all. Not even a crash window comes up.

When I first installed Inventor, it ran just fine. I have the same drivers as I did when I originally installed it, and I tried the newest version as well, but I rolled back to the original one when it didn't work.

Computer Specs:

Lenovo y510p

CPU: i7-4700MQ

RAM: 8GB DDR3

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Nvidia GT 755M [Driver Version: 376.33]

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: andyhud09

@andyhud09

I stole this wording/reply from my buddy @Darin.Green, so he takes all the credit for the steps..  Smiley Wink

This should help get your application working.

Close the application

On your computer, navigate to: ​​C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\CLM\LGS\<Product_Key>_2017.0.0.F  [<Product Key> is the product key of the Autodesk Application you have] Update:  C:\Programdata is a hidden folder as well.
Delete the LGS.data file.
Navigate to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ folder.  Appdata is a hidden folder and you may need to adjust your viewing settings.
Delete the ADUT folder and it's contents
Start the application.

When you start the application, it will prompt you to choose one of the following:

Login - 30 day trial licenses
Serial Number - Standalone and Single-User activation
Network - Network License server for obtaining licenses from a machine on your network

Choose the option that matches your license.  Students will always select serial #.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 14
andyhud09
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thanks for your help. Sadly though, it did not help. I still see the first pop-up and then it crashes. The files are not recreated either.

Message 4 of 14
Mark.Lancaster

In the Windows Start Menu/Autodesk/Inventor section you should see a Inventor Reset utility.  Run it and reset your profile.  Does that help?  The reset utility is also located (a link) in my signature.  But you have to come back to the forums to see my signature/link.  Smiley Wink

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 14
andyhud09

It didn't help, but Windows did throw up an error box this time. Here's what it said:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: Inventor.exe
Application Version: 21.0.14200.0
Application Timestamp: 56cecd56
Fault Module Name: StackHash_1dc2
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 0000000000000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 0000000000000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1dc2
Additional Information 2: 1dc22fb1de37d348f27e54dbb5278e7d
Additional Information 3: eae3
Additional Information 4: eae36a4b5ffb27c9d33117f4125a75c2

Message 6 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! When Inventor crashes, does the crash report dialog comes up? If yes, please enter your email address there and send in the report. After that, send me an email (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I would like to see how the crash happens.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 14
andyhud09
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi,

No crash dialogue comes up except for the photo that I attached to this reply. It does not give me an option to send an email to anyone.

Message 8 of 14
Mark.Lancaster

@andyhud09    @johnsonshiue is referring to the Inventor Crash Report and not a Windows crash info..

Anyhow this crash is most likely related to your graphics driver.   Can you confirm you have the latest driver?  Don't rely on Windows telling you it is.. Go to the Vendor's web site.  Also can you disable the intel one just to ensure Inventor is not using that one.

Mark Lancaster

Message 9 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! It looks like the error is probably related to graphics card. See below discussion.

"https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/bex64-crashes-inventor-17-before-inputing-serial-numbe..."

You may want to update the graphics card driver from your PC vendor site.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! Here is the link to driver download page for Lenovo Y510P

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/IdeaPad-Y-Series-laptops/IdeaPad-Y51...

It looks like you have an integrated video card and a dedicated graphics card. You may want to disable the integrated one.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 14
andyhud09

Inventor worked with the graphics drivers I currently have when I first installed it. I tried updating them, but I've had nothing but trouble with the new drivers (with Inventor and other programs).  Also, when I disable the Intel card in the BIOS, the computer starts to run extremely slow. I have Inventor set to use my NVIDIA GPU by default, but I have tried telling it to use different ones too. Both options give the same result.

Message 12 of 14
andyhud09

Hi,

The drivers on the lenovo website are severly outdated since they stopped supporting the y510p. I have tried to disable the Intel graphics card before, but the computer runs extremely slow, and it can barely even be used for browsing the web.

Message 13 of 14
Mark.Lancaster

@andyhud09

At this point I would recommend perform a clean uninstall per these instructions.  Just make sure to adjust settings if you have other Autodesk products already installed/working on your machine.  Next clean out your personal (%temp%) folder.  Next

Download and install per:

1. Access the Autodesk Virtual Agent and follow the download links to your product.
2. Download all of the parts (some applications only have a single part to download) for your product first. Do not continue until all of the parts have fully downloaded.
3. Navigate to your download folder location and extract (double click) part _001_00X.sfx.exe (or the single file download).
4. In a few seconds the extraction will start and prompt you to extract to C:\Autodesk.
5. Once the extraction is finished, the installation will automatically start.
6. Follow the installation steps for your product

If you want the full recommended installation steps, click on the installation link in my signature.

Good luck and report back on your progress.

Mark Lancaster

Message 14 of 14
andyhud09

While I did not do a fresh install, I realized that I had not installed everything that came with the installer. Originally I had just wanted to install Inventor, so I unchecked the boxes for whatever seemed unnecessary. After letting everything install this time around, it works perfectly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report