Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUTOCAD/CADWORX SOLID TO FLAT PATTERN

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
803 Views, 10 Replies

AUTOCAD/CADWORX SOLID TO FLAT PATTERN

I was trying to get a 3d solid flattened in inventor. We have once guy here who knows the program but cant get any files flattened without recreating the entire 3d solid. Is there something he is missing or is he just burning up project hours? How can I send you the file to look at? thank you,

Mike

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

You don't mention what version of Inventor you are using?

Also, what are your intended units (the dwg units are set to inches - but that makes the Thickness 1 inch, which leads me to suspect the units were supposed to be mm).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

The drawing is actually in mm, just my Autocad environment was set to inches at that time. The version of inventor we have is 2012.

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

The drawing is actually in mm,..... The version of inventor we have is 2012.

I don't have 2012, but it only takes a few minutes to fix (I have it finished since last post).

Whoever modeled this doesn't understand sheet metal and missed a couple of bends. 

(or tangents)

Shield.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

that's awesome. So it seems the guy is just burning up our project hours. I am going to have to learn inventor, we have about 100 of these shields with holes in them and the guy has about 12 left, but he has been on these for about a month. What are the steps to get the flat done, for me to go in there to do it. I know it not traditional for someone with no inventor knowledge to do this, but i was looking for something like a step by step tutorial to get me there. I appreciate all the help and information that you have given me. thank you.

Message 6 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

1. I am going to have to learn inventor, ....

2. What are the steps to get the flat done, for me to go in there to do it.

3. I know it not traditional for someone with no inventor knowledge to do this, but

4. I was looking for something like a step by step tutorial to get me there. I appreciate all the help and information that you have given me. thank you.

1. Inventor is a professional program and deserves (requires?) a professional level of preparation.  Budget about 6 months to learn.  (if this is your only need - it might be cheaper and faster to hire someone who knows Inventor to do the job.  Who is doing the original designs?  It would be faster to do them correclty than to fix incorrect models. 

2. The steps are shown in the browser screen-shot shown above. A designer who has completed #1 would be able to follow those steps.

3. See #1

4. See #1 & 2.

@Anonymous my recommendation is training or hire an Inventor Professional.  100  @ 0.5hr/per = 50hrs of work.  If they are all as simple as the file you attached 0.5hr/per might be significantly reduced.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

thank you for the time and knowledge on the issue we have.

Message 8 of 11
JDMather

Would you like a description on how to model the parts correctly (in any CAD program, not just Inventor)?

I think that is where the major problem exists that is resulting in duplication of effort.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

sure, I think it would fix any problems the drafters are having. thank you.

Message 10 of 11
JDMather

I'll be back in a while with a video describing the problems I found.

Time for lunch!

Message 11 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

sure, I think it would fix any problems the drafters are having. thank you.

The original design is violating these basic rules:

In Inventor

1. Sheet metal parts must be uniform thickness.

2. Bend parts must logically, of course, have bends. (almost unbelievable that designers would try to violate this rule)

3. Inventor bends must be cylindrical or conic (we can get around this rule in limited cases with Lofted Flange).

4. Cut edges should be perpendicular to the flat.

Turn on your sound.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report