Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Clicker for the Escape Button?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
andrew.taylorCSQX9
1747 Views, 16 Replies

Auto-Clicker for the Escape Button?

Hello there

Do I need to download an auto clicker and open up the on screen keyboard just to stop myself getting carpal tunnel syndrome? … /s … Unless?!?

Can I somehow convince the developers to reform the escape button/ctrl Z functionality?

The escape button should get out of a function in one press rather than the 10 it seems to take each time and ctrl Z should undo individual actions within the function and whole functions outside of a function. Ctrl Z should not include the repositioning of the screen when the only change is that the screen has moved.

There needs to be a rationalisation of the significance of an action of whether it needs to be skipped over in the undo list.

I know that undo lists are hard but this is an extremely poor implementation.

Is there a setting to make this a non-issue?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Andrew

Labels (1)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for the feedback! I think the frustration is about the lack of overall aborting control. It is true that a few dialogs still cannot be terminated by hitting <Esc> key. Also, some modeling operations cannot be interrupted by <Esc>. The aborting control by <Esc> has been expanded quite a bit. In earlier days, very few commands or workflows can be aborted.

Regarding Undo, it is somewhat related also. It depends on the transaction type. Sometimes the entire transaction is aborted which may involve multiple commands. or steps.

Do you mind sharing more specifics on which particular workflow or command bothering you? We can take a look and see if there is opportunity to change the behavior.

Many thanks!

Johnson

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 17

Hi Johnson.

The area this crops up for me the most is when I am trying to reposition a dimension whilst in the middle of dimensioning and I have to escape out of the dimensioning tool because I can't click and drag (as it just picks up a click and opens the dialogue box for adjusting the settings of the dimension I am trying to move.). It would be nice if this was implemented as a feature by itself such that there is a difference between clicking and click dragging. This could be implemented on a half click rather than a full click.

This does happen in other areas however. The software picks up on sub-processes that are otherwise invisible to the user as individual actions but upon backing out of the action they show themselves to the user as actions taken. Grouping sub-processes as actions to be backed out of in bulk would help here.

Best regards

Andrew

Message 4 of 17

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for sharing the feedback! Regarding the dimensioning workflow, is it in 2D Sketch environment or Drawing environment?

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 17

@andrew.taylorCSQX9 wrote:

Ctrl Z should not include the repositioning of the screen when the only change is that the screen has moved.

Inventor does not do this with view changes. AutoCAD does though, are you using AutoCAD or Inventor? You have posted in the Inventor forum.

Message 6 of 17

Sorry no.

I was referring to autocad there as an example in the different methodologies of tracking what constitutes a "change" in the list. I wouldn't have made the association but as it is made by the same group I felt the comparison was relatable. I use both Autocad and Inventor but was referring to Inventor with this post in general as it is the software I currently use the most.

I have just done some stress testing of the system to work out wat's going on.

There is an arbitrary delay between the pressing of the escape button and it escaping. This led me to falsely believe it was related to the number of presses of the escape button rather than just waiting for the system to catch up to the user. This seems to be up to a 2 second delay and varies arbitrarily. The system needs to be optimised rather than reduced. The issue from a UI standpoint is there is nothing to tell the user there is anything happening and so the assumption is made nothing has happened and therefore it requires another press of the escape button which it doesn't but which seems to do the trick. The user then gets into the false impression that spamming the escape button is the way to go.

The solution here is to move the process order such that the visual change (The un-highlighting of the dimension function, or any other relevant function for that matter) to the front of the que such that the user sees an immediate change in the state of the program, even though the program may take a couple of seconds to catch up.

Best regards

Andrew

Message 7 of 17

@andrew.taylorCSQX9 wrote:

...rather than just waiting for the system to catch up to the user. This seems to be up to a 2 second delay and varies arbitrarily. 

....even though the program may take a couple of seconds to catch up.

What is it that you're doing for this sort of delay to happen? I don't think I have ever seen what you're describing. Can you do a screencast with the Autodesk screencast tool? 

What are your system specs? What version of Inventor?

Message 8 of 17

Hi Aaron

Screenshot.jpgScreenshot2.jpg

This is a fairly new computer and I am a fairly new user of inventor experience wise.

At my previous position I was using and teaching others to use solidworks at an advanced level (Like make the drawings draw themselves level).

I am doing literally nothing special to expect a difference from any given user here.

If I open up a new part file, click sketch, draw a box, dimension it, and then hit the escape button it can (and does regularly) have this level of delay. At times the delay will be as little as perhaps half a second and never more than two or so.

Best regards

Andrew

Message 9 of 17

Hi Andrew,

I don't believe what you are seeing is hardware related. It is Inventor workflow related. But, we need to understand how to reproduce the behaviors. So far, we have not figured out a way to do that. If possible, please record a short video (screencast) or screenshots demonstrating the behaviors.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 17

Hello there.

Sorry for taking a while getting back to you.

I tried to do a screencast but then the issue wasn't arising.

This does not seem to occur when you first start a new drawing and I haven't been modelling for the past week or so.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/329f44d4-1850-4a01-b2bf-4573e84acfed

This shows that when you have dimensioned a box and then escape from the dimensioning tool, once you go back into the dimensioning, click on a dimension, press enter, and then press escape, there is a not insignificant delay which has caused be the issue of thinking the button needed to be pressed ad infinitum.

Best regards

Andrew

Message 11 of 17

Definitely not normal and I am not able to reproduce it, nor have I ever seen this before so I will bow out and leave you in @johnsonshiue's hands. 

Message 12 of 17

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for getting back to us! I think I got it now. This is about the delay right after <Esc> was pressed. If you keep clicking the cursor, it will be null op. Though the Dimension command is still active. It does look odd.

The behavior is very subtle. When editing a dimension, I usually click on the dimension. I rarely, click on an existing dimension when the Dimensioning command is active.

After understanding the workflow, I can fully understand why the existing behavior is very bothersome, particularly it has to be done repeatedly.

I will work with the project team to see what we can do. This is a very good catch!

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 17
arron.craig
in reply to: johnsonshiue

...click on an existing dimension when the Dimensioning command is active.

Where you able to reproduce the delay? it's not happening for me. Even when editing the dimension in the way OP was doing. (With the Dim command active) 😕

Message 14 of 17

Hi Arron,

Like I said, it is subtle. The way I was able to reproduce was by hitting <Esc> and left-mouse-clicking the dimension. The key is that the Dimension command is still active but clicking the dimension leads to null op. Something is wrong indeed. But, if you don't use Dimension command this way, you won't see it.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 17

Hey.

Thanks for actioning this.

While you're at it … do you think it would be possible to put a toggle next to the primary and alternative tolerance selector fields which links them to their respective primary and alternative units selector fields within the dimension dialogue box?

This would save me, and probably a lot of other people, a few clicks on a fairly consistent basis.

Best regards

Andrew

Message 16 of 17

Hi Andrew,

I am not a developer. I just happen to know how to use Inventor and how Inventor functions very well. I cannot promise anything unfortunately. I need to work with the project team and understand the first issue. Regarding the request of tolerance selector, I need to look into it. I am not sure how easy it can be done.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 17

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report