Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Balloon

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
b.graaf
2638 Views, 19 Replies

Auto Balloon

Is this a bug in Inventor 2018 or un (in my opinion unwanted) change?

Previously, if you make a part selection within the Auto Balloon function, all parts, which had already a balloon attached, were not selected.

In 2018 this is not the case anymore. Now I have to figure out myself, which parts still need a balloon. Okay, I can see that in tht partslist, but still, I have to find them in the drawing views....

balloon.jpg

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
johnsonshiue
in reply to: b.graaf

Hi! I am not seeing a behavioral difference here. This could be a data specific issue or I am not using the exact same workflow as you did. Could you attach an example here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)? I am more happy to take a look and see where the problem is.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 20
b.graaf
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello Shiue,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried with another dataset, which I also have used in Inventor 2017, but 2018 behaves different.

What I do:

- I place several views from an assembly.

- I start Autoballooning.

- I select a view and in this view, I window-select all (visible) components and place the balloons.

- I again start the Autoballooning tool and select another view.

- If I now do a windows-select of all the parts, also the parts which already have a balloon attached (in the other view) are selected and get a balloon (again).

In 2017, only the parts without any balloon attached are selected when window selecting.... In that case you do not have to take care for double balloons. I know, in the partslist, you can see which parts do not have a balloon yet, but I must select them by myself.....

Message 4 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry I must have not followed the exact steps as you did. But, I am not seeing a behavioral difference between 2017 and 2018 in this regard. All ballooned components are excluded  Could you send me an example like a partially ballooned assembly drawing (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)? I would like to understand this behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 20
ron
Contributor

I am having the same issue. I have a few views, I single balloon most items and then run an auto balloon on a view to see what is missing. The auto balloon ignores the previously ballooned items and balloons everything. I thought it might be related to my .IDW template so I tried it with the default template. Same results. No regard for previously single ballooned items. I really miss this function not working like in the last release (2017) as it was a big "check" for errors or misses.

After looking a bit closer, this seems to be view dependent. The auto balloon will ignore the single ballooned items in the view it is looking at but not ignore balloons in another view. See attached picture.

Thanks

Message 6 of 20
ron
Contributor
in reply to: ron

I hope we have not forgotten about this. It is a real issue and loss of previous functionality. When I balloon a drawing I typically balloon in several views. When I think I have it all, I auto balloon an iso view and if any balloons show up, those would be the ones I missed. When I do this in 2018, all the balloons show up. This needs to be tested in old and new versions to see the difference. So I have to resort to checking each balloon against the BOM. This is a huge productivity hit. Maybe some never knew about this trick but it was a real time saver. I think this issue ranks right up there with the browser reorder issue. Please put this on the list and bring back this functionality!

Thanks,

Ron

b.png

Message 7 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi Ron,

The behavior is certainly wrong. However, I have tried the workflows using different datasets (large or small). I cannot seem to reproduce the behavior and I don't see a difference between 2017 and 2018. I must be missing something here. Could you send me this simple example directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)? I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 20
ron
Contributor

Ok,

I have attached the dataset.

Thanks for digging into this.

Ron

Message 9 of 20
ron
Contributor

Gents,

I have something to add to the balloon behavior.

In my workflow, I will typically turn on hidden lines in a view and use auto balloon to capture balloons that I have missed. Inventor will only auto balloon items it can “see” in a view so this is why I turn on hidden lines. I may then put balloons on these items where they would show when hidden lines are off.

Today I re-ballooned the items where they could be seen (in the same view) and when I then turned hidden lines off, the balloons I placed turned off too. When I then turned hidden lines back on the balloons came back. This seems wrong to me. I would think balloons should stay put when they are attached to a visible item no matter how or when they were created. What do you think? I hope I’m being clear.

PS, The view I was working in was actually an exploded .ipn view. Maybe that has something to do with the strange behavior. I have not ballooned an .ipn view before...

Thanks,

Ron

Message 10 of 20
okaleja

Hi,

This issue is already fixed in our internal builds. Should be available for public soon as part of the regular updates.

Thanks for reporting!

Oto Kaleja

Autodesk

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 11 of 20
efeizollahi777

Hi okaleja,
Could you tell me when will this update released?
Message 12 of 20
okaleja
in reply to: efeizollahi777

Hi,

The fix should be included in the Inventor 2018.1 Update which was released couple days ago. Please check following thread for details:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/inventor-update-2018-1-released-july-18th-2017/td-p/72...

Oto Kaleja,

Autodesk

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 13 of 20
efeizollahi777

I have read What's New for Inventor 2018.1 and unfortunately this major isn't include in this update!
Message 14 of 20
okaleja
in reply to: efeizollahi777

Although it is not mentioned, the fix should be included in the build. Please try and let me know in the case it is not fixed.

Thanks,

Oto Kaleja

Autodesk

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 15 of 20
efeizollahi777

Ok
Thank you for replying
Message 16 of 20

Hi Guys,

Like Oto mentioned here, the fix is included in 2018.1 Update. Please install it and try it. If it does not work, let us know asap.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 20
grazvydas

Hi, 

I don't know, this is the same thing, like others said, but looks like, there is some difficulties.

I have few sub-assemblies in one bigger assembly. These sub-assemblies are equal (they are identical). The problem is,  when I trying to generate  Auto balloon. If "Ignore Multiple Instances"  mark is unchecked, then this command marks each part from sub-assembly with balloon and these balloons are named like sub-assembly.

There is simple Part-list:

Part list.PNG

I should see only three balloons after this command, but.. there is a little bit more of them:

ballooon s.PNG

and all of them, are with the same Item number:

numbers.PNG

Message 18 of 20
johnsonshiue
in reply to: grazvydas

Hi! If I understood your issue correctly, this issue should be reproduced only on Inventor Professional 2018. It should have been fixed in 2018.1 Update. Please install it (not .0.1 or .0.2 Update). If you have already installed 2018.1 Update but the issue still persists, I would need to see the files exhibiting the behavior.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 19 of 20
grazvydas

Hi,

yes, you are correct. I'm working with 2018.1. I don't know how it works with previous versions, I just faced with it in current 2018.1. The link with Pack&go was sent privately. 

Message 20 of 20
johnsonshiue
in reply to: grazvydas

Hi! I misunderstood the issue. I thought you were talking about occurrences still get picked up after "Ignore multiple occurrences" option is checked. But, you are actually talking about the behavior when the option is unchecked. I am seeing the funny behavior now. It seems to be a legacy behavior. I am not sure why redundant balloons are needed here. It is indeed confusing. I will work with project team to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report