Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning iProperties to Sheet Metal Template

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
e_frissell
243 Views, 3 Replies

Assigning iProperties to Sheet Metal Template

Hi guys, right now I'm trying to set up our template for sheet metal that would include a custom iProperty - raw material part number - for each gauge size of a specific material.  Going through the options to set this up I'm not really seeing an option to be able to set this up without iLogic.  While iLogic is an option, and I'm very capable of programming it, utilizing iLogic for this seems like a "second best" kind of solution and preference is towards defining the property based on the rule.  Reason being is that it seems like it should be basic functionality to set some specific properties based on the Sheet Metal Rule or...whatever.  Alternatively there may exist a case where the raw material part number doesn't exist for a specific gauge, or there's something else that's special about it, and then how do you handle the edge cases?  With message boxes?  Just seems like there's no good solution for this so I'm curious if anyone's set up a sheet metal template utilizing part numbers without iLogic.

Secondly the only sheet metal materials for aluminum are 6061?  Is it possible to add additional materials to this column?

And lastly I see that sheet metal rules are held within the styles manager which is in the Project Template rather than the part template.  Currently the Project Template (file?) is set to read only - file open in other application so what does this mean?  Do I need to get permission to edit?  Does everyone need to exit out of all files using this project file?  Both?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

we have, extensive list of materials in the sheet metal defaults

File is 2022

Message 3 of 4
e_frissell
in reply to: e_frissell

I see, so there are ways to add to the material column - thanks!

Message 4 of 4
CStilesCARE
in reply to: e_frissell

Using iLogic might be the easiest way to go about what you're looking for, especially if the raw PN is something that can be "generated" based on existing info in the part, but here are a few other options which you can look into, though I can't promise they'll work and likely come with their own host of issues to deal with.

1. If it's possible to create an iPart as a template file, it might allow some control over what you're looking for.
  2. You could look at creating a custom Content Center family for different plate materials & thicknesses and then select from there and always "save as custom" when placing in an assembly.

Regarding editing styles in the style library, these files are kept in the Design Data folder and are Inventor-wide. You CAN override styles in individual files, but when used as templates Inventor will default back to the library. In order to edit the library, you may need to edit your project file in order change it to "Read-Write".

CStilesCARE_0-1685044782032.png

As for materials, you can add to these as well through your material browser. They can be added to the Inventor Material library, or you can create a custom material library and add to that one.

CStilesCARE_1-1685044913044.pngCStilesCARE_2-1685044948227.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report