Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Template Will Not Update Styles

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
tdswanson
311 Views, 11 Replies

Assembly Template Will Not Update Styles

I have an assembly template that I use that's customer specific.  The template has two child assemblies within it: a machine pallet and a tombstone.  When I try to create a new assembly using this template, I get the error below.

I have  a project called "CAD Admin" that allows me to overlord my templates and a template for my customer's "library" stuff like their machine pallets.  I first attempted to update the template from within my CAD Admin project, but then it occurred to me that I wouldn't have write access to some of the children files inside that assembly.

So I have moved my template to the location under my "customer library" project so that it's sitting with all the files that are within it.  I first purged, then updated from within all the documents and have utilized the "update child documents" multiple times and now nothing shows up to update or purge.  Yet when I take the IAM file that I want to be the template and move it back into my templates folder, go to a working project, then try to create a new file from that template, I still get the errors.  

This is very frustrating.  Seems like most people have problems with lighting or 3DA styles.  I don't use or care about either of those things.  Please advise how to remove the errors from my template(s).

Styles Update Message.png

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Frederick_Law
in reply to: tdswanson

Because your local Style Library is different then the document Style Library.

A common problem of not setting a custom Standard and styles.

Every file use "same" Standard and fight for same style names in local Library.

The only way now is just turn off the prompt.

Message 3 of 12
tdswanson

Maybe I'm missing something.  If the style library in the standard and the style library in the document are not in sync, isn't that what the the "save" and "update" buttons are supposed to do?  My understanding from the help files is that the "save" button would take the current document's settings and put them into the master library.  Whereas the "update" button takes the master library and overrides the document's styles with what is in the library.  How can there be a point where you're just stuck with no options?

Message 4 of 12
Frederick_Law

You moved files between 2 Project.

Are they using same Standard and Style?

Which Style Library is the "correct" one?

Project 1, Project 2 or Template file?

Did you make a custom Standard?

Edit Template and save all the "Correct" Standards and Styles in the file.

Then save them to both Project's Style Library.

Message 5 of 12
tdswanson
in reply to: Frederick_Law

I only have one set of standards/styles/templates.  To be honest, the only thing that I use projects for at all is to point me to one customer's library of CAD files (like mating parts, tools, etc.) versus another company's libraries.

Other than that, I do everything the same way for all customers/projects.  We're a small job shop, and I really don't collaborate with other AutoDesk users.  So for the most part, I'm working in a silo where I'm the only CAD operator.  My outputs are simple; either internal (prints or CAM programs) or external (PDF print and possibly a STEP file).

Message 6 of 12
Frederick_Law

The fact that IV complains about Style different means there are at least 2 different Styles in your system.

1: Style Library

2: Template (which should be same as Style Library)

3: Customer Files.

Check each file:

Style-23.jpg

If you make any change in file, save them to Library.

Make sure both Projects use same "Design Data".

Message 7 of 12
Eide.N

Message 8 of 12
tdswanson

Both of these on point replies, but they don't really seem to help much here.  The long article is very helpful and seems to confirm my understanding that once you're in a project file and the permissions are set correctly, UPDATE will push from the library to the current document, while SAVE will push from the current document to the library.

However, look at these two screen shots.  Notice how the warning that comes up when starting a new document mentions "Object Defaults"?  I'm familiar with this concept in the drawing environment, but it doesn't seem to apply to the assembly environment.  Look at the second screen shot....  Where are the object defaults?

I would say there's some type of corruption here, but I think that I have more or less this same issue with multiple assembly templates.  I could just rebuild the templates from scratch, wouldn't take that long.  But if there's something that I'm missing here and there are lessons to be learned, I'd like to learn them.  Thoughts?

Message 9 of 12
Frederick_Law

You'll see Object Default in idw Style.  Probably it's stored in ipt and iam but we can't change it.

Did you update Style in all Standard.* templates?

Message 10 of 12
Eide.N

I agree with @Frederick_Law - update all of your standard templates (iam, ipt, dwg, idw, ipn) and see if that resolves it.

Message 11 of 12
SBix26

I'm afraid my contribution may not be helpful, but I want to at least let you know that I have experienced this for many years over many different Inventor versions, both at my last job and on my home computer.  I was (at work), and am (at home), the administrator responsible for creating templates and styles.  I know that they have been synchronized numerous times, but the conflicts continue to happen. 

At work, the conflicts were always Parts List styles; now at home they are 3DA or lighting styles.  In my Parts List styles conflicts, the styles were in fact different, typically having lost the setting to filter by visibility.  When I updated the local document styles from the library (where they supposedly came from to begin with!) they were then correct.  I never figured out how that was happening.

My current conflicts with styles are less frequent, but they still occur.

You're not crazy nor are you misunderstanding how styles work.  Somehow they don't 100% work for some of us.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2025.0.1 | Windows 11 Home 23H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 12 of 12
Frederick_Law

Do not reuse style names from other Standard.

Make new name for everything.

Name your own Standard.

Try:

Copy all Styles to ipt, iam and idw.

Use the files to overwrite Style Library in each computer you use.

When you got customer files, overwrite their styles if there is conflict.

It is difficult for other to fix unless they can access each computer and file.

If everyone name their own Standard and Styles, there will be no conflict.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report