Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assembly model to Autocad LT

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1067 Views, 9 Replies

assembly model to Autocad LT

Evening,

I have a query please

Can an assembly model developed in Inventor be saved as a view style -"Wire Frame with Visible Edges Only" and then exported to Autocad LT to be saved and used as a symbol for PFD/P&ID ?

Regards,

Joseph

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes but that "dwg" or block may be large (file) size. You may want reduce by using shrinkwrap or use the BOM exchange workflow but just don't export to a Autodesk Exchange or Revit file.

Usually P&I'D drawings are 2d so taking a true solid model from Inventor to this type of drawing seems overkill.  Okay me 2 cents

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! There might be three possibilities that I can think of at the moment.

Option1: Export the Inventor assembly as IGES and set export object type to Wireframe. Use IGESIN command to import the IGES file to AutoCAD LT.

Option2: Export the assembly as AutoCAD DWG -> check only Solids. Open the DWG file to LT and explode it to wires.

Option3: Export the assembly as SAT. Use ACISIN command to import the SAT file to LT and explode it to wires.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

Thanks for the options.

I have attached a sample image of what i would like to achieve. Does this fit in with your 3 options?

Regards

Joseph

Message 5 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! It looks like you only need 2D geometry, not 3D. If you only need 2D, you should simply create Inventor drawing using dwg. Then you can open the dwg in LT. I don't think you need to go through the trouble of converting 3D geometry to wires and then import to LT.

It is still a bit unclear to me what you are looking for. If you could provide an example of Inventor assembly and what you expect to do in LT, experts here should be able to help suggest the best workflow to achieve it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you Johnson

I attached 3 images

1. 3D model of assembly

2. 3D model side view (2D colour)

3. 3D model as a Wire view in 2D.....this is the appearance i would like to use in Autocad....

Regards

Joseph

Message 7 of 10
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

My 2 cents..  You are making this way too hard..  P&ID doesn't truly represent what the actual product looks like in the real world.  Its a 2D representation.  by symbols demonstrating the process flow/equipment (symbols) used.   What does the rest of your P&ID look like?  Does it actual show the true valves or the normal 2D symbol representing the valve.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Hi Mark

Thanks for response

I agree regarding symbols in P&ID but i plan to go down the path as the image attached. I already have some of the Assembly models done and am looking for a way to use as 2D blocks in Autocad

Best regards

Joseph

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Hi,

I thought i would continue on with this query and see if anyone else has some suggestions

Regards

Joseph

Message 10 of 10
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I thought i would continue on with this query and see if anyone else has some suggestions

Regards

Joseph

Just create a drawing in Inventor and save copy as Autocad dwg..

In autocad open the file and type "overkill" into the command line and select all objects..

Delete whatever else you don't want to show in your symbol.

Then purge the drawing and save..

Thats all you need...

really simple.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report