Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Help

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
SteveFrey
382 Views, 9 Replies

Assembly Help

In this assembly I am trying to insert the spring up against the plunger which rides against the small bar. When the hinge pin turns, it pushes the bar down and forces the plunger to compress the spring between itself and the back plate. I am having trouble constraining the parts so that the spring will be adaptive to the actions described above. It seems that using the parts as a contact set in a lot of this assembly is better than using constraints.

The two things that are baffling me are 1) making the spring adapt to the changes and 2) making the plunger stay constrained to the hinge pin in all positions. It seems that this would be a transitional constraint. Is that correct? Am I on the right track or am I wandering down the wrong road on this one? Any assistance would be helpful. Thank you.
Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
HP ZBook 17 G6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 80 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Wireless
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: SteveFrey

I noticed in Sketch1 of PP4300 the sketch is placed at the origin but not constrained to the origin. Why would you not have Inventor automatically constrain this sketch?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
SteveFrey

To tell you the truth, I made the part a long time ago so I have to answer, "I don't know why". I've slowly been learning more and more about Inventor and a lot of it is learning about what I've done wrong.
Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 4 of 10
JDMather

Do you really need to have the spring compress - it would be much easier in Inventor Studio.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 10
SteveFrey

I don't need to have it compress. I am just wondering how I would do this in the event I needed to show someone. My next question was should it be done in Studio but I think you answered that for me.
Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 6 of 10
JDMather

I don't see where you state what version of Inventor you are using? The files indicate r2008.

Message 7 of 10
SteveFrey

Yes, 2008
Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 8 of 10
SteveFrey

I don't need the springs to move but for my own knowledge, I can't figure out how to constrain the bar to the shaft. I would like to have the bar fall into the groove in the shaft when it is rotated and then push out while still being constrained to the outside of the shaft. Transitional did not work and tangent only works on one surface at a time.
Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 9 of 10
JDMather

I think if you add very small fillets to the edges (they are going to get rounded anyway during deburr or in the operation of this mechanism) the Transistional will work. Tangent would not be correct. Otherwise use Contact Sets with ONLY these two parts as part of the contact set. Use Tangent with the plunger and cylinder. Leave one end of the spring free unless you are going to animate spring in Studio. If they ever get the forum fixed so that I can post files again I will attach the solution.

Message 10 of 10
SteveFrey

Great, and thanks. As always, you're a big help.
Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report