Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly - align component by angle

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
chrisjspower
837 Views, 6 Replies

Assembly - align component by angle

Hi All, Fairly new to ilogic and no programming experience so forgive me if this is simple but my previous efforts yield poor results.

I have a circular tank, for which I would like to align a flanged pipe perpendicular to its surface. I would like to change the angle/position of the flanged pipe relative to the an origin or ray/construction line If possible.

Thanks for your consideration

Kind regards

Chris.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: chrisjspower

First question is why did you mention ilogic/programming?

Is there a reason you are simply not manually constraining this part as needed using constraint or joint tool in Inventor?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
kelly.young

Hello @chrisjspower if you want to attach what you have so far that would be helpful for others to comment further.

Posts about this with attached files for inspection that might help:

Inventor 2018 Sheet Metal Creating Wrap-Around Pipe At 45° Angle

Collection of ilogic models for beginners: Angle Pipe

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 4 of 7
chrisjspower
in reply to: mcgyvr

was quite late at that stage, I forgot to mention that I would like to make a rule and form for this assembly so that the component I am placing doesn't collide with anything else, and can be placed at different angles relative to a certain point.

I don't have write authority on the computer im doing this work on so I repeated most of the steps and add the two components and the assembly file to this message.

What I can't figure out: How to align the flanged pipe to the outside of the larger component radially from it's face.

Chris

Message 5 of 7
chrisjspower
in reply to: mcgyvr

was quite late at that stage, I forgot to mention that I would like to make a rule and form for this assembly so that the component I am placing doesn't collide with anything else, and can be placed at different angles relative to a certain point.

I don't have write authority on the computer im doing this work on so I repeated most of the steps and add the two components and the assembly file to this message.

What I can't figure out: How to align the flanged pipe to the outside of the larger component radially from it's face.

Chris

Message 6 of 7
chrisjspower
in reply to: kelly.young

Hi there! thanks for the help so far!
I have tried this method but I cants seem to orient it correctly, this method enables me to rotate it about an imaginary point on the surface of the cylinder.
What I am trying to do is rotate it about the centre axis of the cylinder, flush to the outer face of the cylinder.

I hope this description helps

Kind regards,

Chris

Message 7 of 7
chrisjspower

If you create construction lines to determine the distance from an axis you can use that axis in assembly to align to another part axis.
Once you have done this you can use relationships>joint and then select the axes of each of the components, from this point you can change the height and the angle.

Hope this helped!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report