Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have a method for creating double lips on edge face (lip feature only creates one lip)?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
hamzanabi123456
286 Views, 4 Replies

Anyone have a method for creating double lips on edge face (lip feature only creates one lip)?

Hi, 

I've used inventors lip feature to create a lip on the guide faces (edges) of one half of an enclosure which will fit together. However, on many designs i've seen double lips which is what i want to create instead (see attached pictures with notes along with the inventor part).

I can't add another lip using the lip feature, it only allows me to create a single lip on the edge face.

I would really appreciate if someone with experience can help on this.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

It doesn't work for me either - it throws an error.
If you have a multi-body part, just make lips upwards on the relevant bodies, then make impressions by boolean operations.
In a one-body part, you have to plot it manually.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: hamzanabi123456

The geometry of this model is difficult, to say the least.  There are a couple of locations on the lip path that are not tangent continuous.  I, also, have not been able to find a way to make a second Lip (groove) feature, nor to even create a Sweep cut.  I was successful, though in making the whole double groove as a Sweep feature.

SBix26_0-1673881860486.png

Just to be clear, the Lip tool is perfectly capable of making a second groove on an edge, just not on this particular edge!

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2023.2 | Windows 10 Home 21H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 4 of 5

@SBix26 Yes, this geometry is unhealthy and makes further work difficult. I described it in another post.

However, from the beginning I insist on working on a multi-body part and argue it with boolean operations (as in the video).
In this way, you can get an exact fit and one more thing - with a double lip, I get a middle step on the nominal (pitch) surface.

But for that you need a good batch model.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 5 of 5

Hi! I have shared a solution in your prior thread using the surface modeling technique. It works for the inside faces. It should also work for the outside faces. Please take a look.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/please-help-trying-to-create-a-lip-and-groove-for-a-sn...

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report