Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amount of work features

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
492 Views, 8 Replies

Amount of work features

Is it okay if I use a lot of axis/planes/points?

Ive got somewhat complex 3D element that seems the most stable (parametric part) when a lot of the features are created from a few very fundamental part features (it results in somewhat - to my inexperienced eye - deep trees)

Is it okay? Is it cringeworthy? How much is too much?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

Without posting the part it's tough to comment.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Fair enough, adding an example to original post. I can't edit the original for some reason. The iam is included in this assembly.

Workfeatures are for holes drilled, constraint points for bushings, the middle reinforce plates, etc.

Any constructive criticism (not only about the workfeatures 🙂 ) is welcome - I'm strictly self-taught

Message 4 of 9
mdavis22569

please include the ipt's too..

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

YAY for managing to come as a total goof...

Any idea why I can't edit my previous posts?

I'll be in my shame corner...

Message 6 of 9
mdavis22569

what is the purpose for each one?

....that's the question.

Without knowing the purpose it's hard to say if it's to many.   However to me, I would probably say yes it is, and see if there were ways to utilize the workplanes in the parts before making new ones.

workplanes.PNG

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
blair

Is the Upper_Arm going to be molded as a single piece?

Seems like a lot of work. I probably would use a couple of Sketches to drive/control my model rather than all the Work Axis that you are using.

Search "Skeletal Modeling Inventor" on the YouTube site.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 9
WHolzwarth

There's too much stuff. See new dataset (2016)

Changes:

- Including Reference.ipt in IAM

- Making Upper arm as MBP, deleting several work features

- Constraining Upper arm versus Reference

- Constraining bushings versus Upper arm (Only two constraints are needed for each bushing)

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Oh, the three first points are great and in hindsight I can't believe i didn't use the reference to do some of the constraints. (And I can now export the reinforcement plates from the upper arms to work with them separately too! Woo!)

However, the bushings change is for worse - the upper ones now collide with the tubes and lower ones lost stability (tangent constraints will fail if the hole axis is no longer perpendicular - i think....)

Colliding Bodies
I'm trying to rework suspension for a hand-me-down-project that is a bit of a mess (euphemism!) that I cannot alter too much (but was not really told how much is too much) so whatever I come up with is subject to more or less serious changes at any time 😕

BUT...I now realise I could just add the constraint points in the reference, instead of babylonian worfeature tower.

My thanks to Walter and Blair, for seeing the error of my ways. I shall repent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report