Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allowing modification to component to update to assembly and mirrored assemblies

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
949 Views, 5 Replies

Allowing modification to component to update to assembly and mirrored assemblies

I'm new to using Inventor at the moment, and I'm trying to do the following:

• Make individual components (two beams, webs, etc.)
  • Make an assembly of those components (which makes a support for a vessel)
  • Then use the assembly in another assembly file, to have a set of four supports in such a way that the rear will be a reflected copy of the front support, and both will then be reflected to make a rectangle.

I'm having an issue where if I modify a component it will update the assembly of the single support, and the assembly of the set, but the modification does not carry through any reflected components. How can I make the change apply throughout my project?

Also, how can I set components to be parallel and translate one component from the other?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm new to using Inventor at the moment, and I'm trying to do the following:

• Make individual components (two beams, webs, etc.)
  • Make an assembly of those components (which makes a support for a vessel).
  • Then use the assembly in another assembly file, to have a set of four supports in such a way that the rear will be a reflected copy of the front support, and both will then be reflected to make a rectangle.

I'm having an issue where if I modify a component it will update the assembly of the single support, and the assembly of the set, but the modification does not carry through any reflected components. How can I make the change apply throughout my project?

Also, how can I set components to be parallel and translate one component from the other?

Thanks!

Sounds like you just don't know how to use assembly constraints properly..

Or have you tried to do an "update" or rebuild all in the top level assembly? did that force everything to update..

This would be far easier if you posted a pack and go of the entire assembly.. Then we can see where you went wrong and can help..

Please also include the version of Inventor you are using.. 

Also I understand you wanted parts to be parallel but don't understand what you mean by "translate one component from another".. Thats unclear..

But again seeing your model will really help spot issues/problems..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
JDMather

Can you attach your assembly file and your part files here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 6
kelly.young

Hello @Anonymous I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

It sounds like you have a good idea of what you are trying to do just getting stuck on how to make it all work together and update properly.

First thing would be to either post a screenshot or like the previous posts ask for parts. If you create a screencast you can show exactly where you are getting stuck as well.

I'm assuming you're wanting to use Frame Generator to create the beams?

When you make a change to a part that is copied multiple time throughout an assembly you will notice the lightning bolt at the upper bar is lit. This means that an Update is required to the display the changes and refresh the model. There is Global UpdateLocal Update and Rebuild All.

GlobalUpdate.png

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Inventor 2018

To be very direct in my situation: I'm an engineering student, currently doing a work term or internship in a shipyard. My supervisor asked me to create a model of an existing support that the yard has several of. He wants me to use my modelled support to generate a kind of cradle that will use six of these. He then wants me to do a stress analysis and frame analysis. I have never done this before, and I have only created this sort of project using Solidworks.

I've included a photo of the support that I'm modelling. I have my individual parts generated, though I created the I-beams by extruding a rectangular prism. From what I'm understanding, that is not the best approach. My first issue is that I am unsure how to properly constrain the parts in the assembly for the support. Where they are all rigid, what tool should I be using? Is it possible to constrain several like parts to be parallel, and then define the distance they are offset from each other? Where I want to do some analysis later, will the placement of my constraints affect the results of the analysis?

Also, the parts are all fillet welded. How can I properly define this in my model?

I want to create another assembly using the supports as individual parts, but still be able to modify one of my original parts and have the modification carry throughout the entire project. Should I create a subassembly of the single support, and then create my assembly of all six within the same file?

I noticed that when I mirrored my support assembly that any changes I made to a part would be reflected in the original placed assembly, but not in the mirrored assemblies. I know that the mirrored assemblies are generated by mirroring the parts as well, so is there a way to relate the part and the mirrored part files?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge, I've only been using Inventor for a week now.

Thanks

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

... I have only created this sort of project using Solidworks.

... I have my individual parts generated, though I created the I-beams by extruding a rectangular prism...

I teach both SolidWorks and Inventor.

I am not aware of any significant differences (other than that SolidWorks only does weldments as multibody) for the purpose of this sort of design and analysis.

Can you attach your assembly here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report