Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding materials to an IAM file

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
476 Views, 2 Replies

Adding materials to an IAM file

Hello,

I'm having trouble adding materials to my IAM file from inventor.  I choose the material and then drag it to the section I want to color and the whole thing turns to that material, instead of just the desired section.  I can't get it to stop doing this

The attached file is of a range hood, and I'm wanting to add a copper material to the cornerplates and apron.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

well you say IAM then post an IPT..

But this is how you do it in the IPT..

Right click on a face and select properties.. Then pick the color from the list there. (face appearance)

And materials and appearances are 2 different things.. 

And obviously in the real world something like you have would be an iam (assembly) composed of multiple ipt (part) files.. not a single ipt file. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 3
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

Within Inventor Materials and Appearance are two different things. Material is the physical property of the item such as mass and other physical attributes that are required for FEA. It has a default Appearance of "As Material". Then there is Appearance which is the color of the item which doesn't change the physical attributes of the item.

You can have a cube with "Steel" as the Material and have an Appearance of "Gold".

No on your model do you wish to have it out of steel with "copper painted" corners or do you wish to have additional items which are Copper as their material and a Copper finish. If this is the case, then you would need to place the base part within an IAM and then create Copper corner parts and constrain them to their correct locations on the range hood.

As posted you can RMB of the desired face or feature and select Properties and change this to get the desired finish. If you want part of a face to be different, you may need to use the Split-Face command to get the correct area on a face that can then be changed.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report