Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a wire to a flat part

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
332 Views, 3 Replies

Adding a wire to a flat part

Hello all,

I have a part (attached) that I'd like to model a connecting wire, which connects two points of the part (I have drawn sketches on the areas I want to connect).

I am really struggling to use the cable and harness environment, despite watching the tutorials. I have considered modeling the part completely separately but I'd like the freedom to move the wires around and over other features in the final assembly.

Cheers all!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

Well.. To use C&H you need to create a "pin" at each point where the wire will connect.. Then author to define the direction of the wire

then put that into an assembly and create a harness..

Like attached..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Oh wow that was fast!

It looks great! How do you change the path of the wire though, can that be done after creation?

Also what function did you use to create the pin connectors, and did you do this in the assembly or the part itself, before making the wire in C&H?

Cheers

Message 4 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh wow that was fast!

It looks great! How do you change the path of the wire though, can that be done after creation?

Also what function did you use to create the pin connectors, and did you do this in the assembly or the part itself, before making the wire in C&H?

Cheers

You can right click on it in the assembly and select "edit" then right click along the wire and "add points" then "redefine" those points to move it,etc..

To create the "pin" (in the part) I first edited your sketch and just placed 2 points.. Then use the "pin".. Mine is in the Harness pane on the 3d model tab 

pin.PNG

Then you define the "outward direction" of the wire in the "connector" button on the manage tab.. (note its in a flyout so you may see another.. Just flyout the choices and select connector.. Then I just used an axis to define the direction.. 

connector.PNG

Note: some of these panes may be turned off in your ribbon.. Just right click and do a "show panels" and pick the harness or author as needed..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report