Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptivity - Extrude vs Revolve

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
pompeo79
711 Views, 8 Replies

Adaptivity - Extrude vs Revolve

Hi to all,

look an the image.                         Untitled-1 copy.jpg

It is an assembly with adaptive cylinder.

The cylinder was made with extrusion feature, made it adaptive, inserted in the assembly and made the part again adaptive.  Using constraints actually the part adapt itself to the "C" part.

Is it possibile to obtein the same result using a cylinder created with the revolve feature?  Using the same philosophy i can use the adaptivity of  a revolution part with the tangent constraint... but with no success.

And..when it would have sense to make a revolution feature adaptive?

And again, what about making sketch dimension "driven dimensions" using adaptive tecnics?  When and why?

I mean i have seen that sometime some make dimension > driven dimension befor make the part adaptive.

When is it necessary?

In the upper example i didn't use driven dimension.

Substantially a little clarity on Adaptivity...Smiley Very Happy

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: pompeo79

Simply Project Geometry the holes (as lines) and create appropriately sized rectangle from midpoints to desired radius (dimensioned for clearance from projected hole..

Revolve the rectangle for the cylinder.
If the hole size changes or the C-shape changes length - the cylinder will adapt.

What version of Inventor are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
pompeo79
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JDMather,

thanks for answering!

Vres.  Inv 2012

Message 4 of 9
pompeo79

I have the 2013 too, don't worry.

Thanks Jd for your time , making this example for me. I really appreciate it.

Message 5 of 9
pompeo79

Hi JD, i have seen.

I wanted to create an adaptive part independent of technical relationships-

I mean with no dependiencies with any part (no project edeges), a part que potencially i can use with any other assembly.

Message 6 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! Adaptive Revolve should work in this case too. If you want to use Tangent constraint, you might want to create an Axial Mate first to lock down the axial degree of freedom. A better choice would be Cylindrical Face Mate. In Mate constraint dialog, try to select the cylindrical faces from the part via Select Other.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 9
pompeo79

Hi Jhonson,

thanks a lot!

Now it works with a simple didactic example (cylinder), with the lenght (mate/mate with vertical faces, and even tangency with the cylindrical face, completly adaptive.

With a little more complex geometry like the assembly attached, i have problems.

I don't know why.

(i have attached both assembly)

Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! The reason why the Pulley.ipt does not adapt properly is due to lack of degrees of freedom. The key to develop adaptive relationship successfuly is to leave enough adaptable degrees of freedom. In the Sketch1 in Pulley.ipt, the sketch can deform in only one direction at a time (it is like symmetry). If you pull lower side, the upper side will follow and vice versa. This configuration would only allow the part to adapt in one direction.

I found thatt the coincident constraint to the origin is causing the behavior to happen. Simply delete it and the sketch will be adaptable in both directions. Please try it and let me know if it works.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
pompeo79
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Great Johnson!

Sketch simmetry is my big mistake!

Great support! Great kindness!

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report