Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive springs and variable constraints

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
686 Views, 7 Replies

Adaptive springs and variable constraints

What is the best possible way to make this function like it would in reality?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Frank-Oosterwaal
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Neil Cross has a good video on his youtube channel on how to make this work

Look here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Frank-Oosterwaal

Hey,

Thanks voor the feedback but I was wondering if it was possible without the animation and just in the assembly.

best regards,

B

Message 4 of 8
Frank-Oosterwaal

Hi,

Yes it is possible.

I'm not sure it will rebuild by itself but if you hit "update" it will.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 8
JDMather

What is your design intent?

Maybe a Spring Force in Dynamic Simulation environment is what you need.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

My intention was to let the top plate along with the spring move within the degrees of freedom.  

Limited constraints and adaptive spring should result in a movement simular to a real situation without having to play it as a movie.

Message 7 of 8
DRoam

Hi @Anonymous, as promised, here's a re-post of the screencast, and my files are attached as well. The way I modeled the spring is maybe not the most proper way, but it works.

As I described, this isn't a perfect solution because the spring still doesn't live-update as you drag the top plate, but it does allow you to free-drag the top plate and see the spring adapt as soon as you release the plate. This is possible because, rather than using constraints to drive the adaptivity, you're simply pushing the geometry (i.e. location) of the top plate into the spring part. This doesn't constrain the top plate from moving. Once you release the top plate, the spring instantly updates.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: DRoam

Thanks a lot for the effort!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report