Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access violation – no RTTI data!

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
Anonymous
33905 Views, 26 Replies

I'm receiving this error when I tried to a working plane.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
SteveMDennis
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Just got this error again. Adding a hole feature to a piece of angle steel from content center...

Anyone know what RTTI data is?

Please continue to help Johnson narrow down your issue but to answer your question:

RTTI is Run Tim Type Information

It is a programming construct used in many programs to determine the type of a class/object at run time rather than compile time.

I almost always see this error when we try to "cast" a NULL pointer to the type of object we think it is.

It is a software coding mistake or bad assumption on our part. If you can get a reproducible case to Johnson we can fix it.

I've never seen an RTTI error that we were unable to fix.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

I just sent you an email, and included the file I was working on when I got the RTTI error.

Thanks for your help!

Ben

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

And yes, I always submit the crash report when I get one in IV.

I don't always answer the canned email I get afterward, saying "I'm a developer, please send me your files".

I have never received a response back from those and figured it was a waste of time.

Thanks

Ben

Message 24 of 27
SteveMDennis
in reply to: Anonymous

Ben,

As one of the developers 🙂 some crashes are data specific so sending us your files if you are so inclined is VERY helpful.

Fixing a crash/issue from a CER is often very difficult.

If you can give us the file(s) and say, do this, then this, crash... we can fix those!

You may not receive a response after you send the files but we absolutely use them and appreciate them

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: SteveMDennis

Ok, I'll definitely keep sending them then.

I won't even pretend to know the nuances of creating stable software; I'm sure it's super difficult.

I'll help in whatever way I can.

Ben

Message 26 of 27
Hochenauer

Hi,

I can only second Steve's comment. Thanks for any help to reproduce a crash/bug with a set of reproducible steps.

Gerald

Gerald Hochenauer
Senior Principal Engineer, Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 27 of 27
doug_cook

I have a way to reproduce this "Access violation - no RTTI data!" error.

Our company has decided to use Enovia based PLM and through the Inventor integration when logged into 3DExperience, if you go to a file through Windows Explorer that you have not had open before signing into Enovia, then go back to Inventor, you can not do anything because everything is froze. It is not crashed and you can not see the error message hiding behind the Inventor window.

If you do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and bring up the Windows Task Manager, highlight the Autodesk Inventor and right click  you will get a pop up window and go down to Minimize, select that and you can now minimize Inventor to task bar, then you will find the error message that you can exit out of and continue working.

This happens every time with this senario as we speak, which is a pain, but doable for now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report