Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Content Center: Desktop database vs vault Database

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
CCarreiras
308 Views, 8 Replies

Access Content Center: Desktop database vs vault Database

Hi everyone!

I have installed a local Content Center database and also I use Vault with its own Vault Content Center library.

When I need to work on a local single-user project, I leave the Vault project and activate a local project, and vice versa.

Issue:

Every time I do this "type of project" switch, I need to switch also the access between Vault CC and local CC and: I go to Application Options and I change the Content Center access.

ccarreiras_0-1681950620011.png

question:

Is this the correct/easier way to go, or there's a better way to switch the Content Center access?

...maybe There's some setting in the project that I'm not aware...

Thank you. 

CCarreiras

EESignature

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Frederick_Law
in reply to: CCarreiras

I use "Local Content Center" that is Check In to Vault.

Haven't try "Vault Server" CC.

Message 3 of 9
CCarreiras
in reply to: Frederick_Law

Thank you @Frederick_Law , but i need both.

There are different libraries in both places,

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
Frederick_Law

@CCarreiras wrote:

Interesting.  Got work related library you can't use anywhere else?

If you could close and restart IV to switch, setup batch files to set registry for CC Location before start IV.

Run macro/iLogic/addin to set CC location.

Message 5 of 9
BDCollett

@CCarreiras wrote:

If that's the case, either add them to Vault or add the Vault versions to your desktop so both locations have the same libraries. You cannot have both locations on at the same time.

Message 6 of 9
CCarreiras
in reply to: BDCollett

Hi @BDCollett 

Note: when I'm referring "Projects", I'm talking exclusively about the Inventor Project File, not in jobs, or work, etc.

Im really not speaking about using two libraries in two different locations at the same time, that will be silly in my point of view, that was asking to much with no reason.

Im talking about: when you activate a different kind of project, (single user project to Vault project, for example), case you use different libraries for those two projects(for example: local CC library for single user project, and Vault CC Library for vault projects), on top of the project change (activation), you have also to go to Application Option to change also the access from the local library to vault library.

Imagine you have to jump between tasks several times each day..... you have to spend your time on the application option window!! Doesnt make sense. It should be depending on the project you use... and not on one Application Option, equal for all the different kinds of projects and needs.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
CCarreiras

Well... I posted a proposal at the Inventor Ideas Forum.

If you think the idea might be useful, you can vote here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/content-center-access-options-to-override/idi-p/119084...

Thank you.

This is the proposal:

ccarreiras_0-1681950315755.png

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
BDCollett

@CCarreiras wrote:

Hi @BDCollett 

Note: when I'm referring "Projects", I'm talking exclusively about the Inventor Project File, not in jobs, or work, etc.

Im really not speaking about using two libraries in two different locations at the same time, that will be silly in my point of view, that was asking to much with no reason.

Im talking about: when you activate a different kind of project, (single user project to Vault project, for example), case you use different libraries for those two projects(for example: local CC library for single user project, and Vault CC Library for vault projects), on top of the project change (activation), you have also to go to Application Option to change also the access from the local library to vault library.

Imagine you have to jump between tasks several times each day..... you have to spend your time on the application option window!! Doesnt make sense. It should be depending on the project you use... and not on one Application Option, equal for all the different kinds of projects and needs.

Yes that does make sense. As a contractor this kind of workflow can happen a lot more often.

I voted for your idea.

Message 9 of 9
Gabriel_Watson

Yeah, this made me think through the day, and it's truly the chicken and the egg scenario.
If you set it to Vault CC, you'd have to include your local content and filter everyone else's access away from it (make a hidden library, there's an idea). And if you set it to the local CC option, you can only work with the Vault library content as a manual copy subset within your own, which might be bad to keep constantly up to date (folder sync, perhaps?). Anyways, my 2 cents on this... I usually don't mind switching, but I work mostly as admin, not a super end-user actually involved in the design workflow.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report