Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new Assembly coming from a Step file should use parts are already in Vault. But doesn't do it.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
FilipeMais
191 Views, 6 Replies

A new Assembly coming from a Step file should use parts are already in Vault. But doesn't do it.

Hello everyone,

I need your help.

When I receive Step files from suppliers, I want to save as an Assembly and check in  in Vault.

However appears an error message saying the file already exists.

I am not allowed to repeat the name of the files.

See the picture below and try using the files attached. Check in one and check in the other after.

How can the software be able to recognize, accept and use the files already exist in Vault?

How can I avoid this kind of errors without changing the names of the files all the time?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 144439.png

Best regards,

FM

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blandb
in reply to: FilipeMais

It appears that the file already exists in vault. Can you not just use the cylinder again? Do you structure your vault for purchased components > Cylinders > MFG > Type? If so, you can just grab it. If you just download them per job, and you use the same cylinder again, but re-download every time, then you risk having the same file multiple times. If you do want this work flow, then I'd recommend removing the "Enforce unique files names" for vault, this will allow you to place multiple files of the same name..

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 7
FilipeMais
in reply to: blandb

Yes, I would like to have a structure in Vault: Purchased components > Cylinders > MFG > Type

I need to build that library and I want to be able to use the cylinders in different positions.

In the future I will need to use many cylinders (or other assemblies) that use similar parts.

It is not allowed to repeat file names.

Message 4 of 7

Thanks for answering.

Message 5 of 7
swalton

I see two basic choices:

1. Rebuild the imported models in the local workspace to use the preexisting common parts from Vault. 
  2. Rename everything using Design Assistant before checking it into Vault.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 7
BeKirra

Here is my suggestion.

1. setup folder structure for that assembly and its parts in your local workspace before checking in.
  2. Only rename the those components if they meet the following

a. their file names are exactly same as the existing files in vault, AND

b. the parts (model details) are NOT exactly same as the files in vault mentioned in "a" above.

If those parts (file name AND model details) are exactly same as the one in vault, in your assembly relink the parts to the existing parts in vault.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 7 of 7
James_Willo

Hi, your thread title and description are confusing to me. Are you asking to bring in an assembly as a step file and it will see that cylinder in the imported step file and use the one already in vault, instead of creating a new one?
If so, this can't be done, to Inventor the step file is just dump solids even if it's a name match. You need to swap the cylinder out first before checking in. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report