Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

3rd Party assembly

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
969 Views, 10 Replies

3rd Party assembly

I have imported a 3rd party assembly as a STP file. So now I have an assembly as an IPT file. How do I set it up so that I have an assembly where I can constrain parts together and have a proper Inventor assembly?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
admaiora
in reply to: Anonymous

It depends on the software from which it has been  exported, the export option setting and the model exported itself.

As step you can have the ability to open it as an assembly with all the parts assembled in place (not constrained or grounded, in any case with no inventor constraints).  Then you can manually riassemble it, using for example the Predict Offset option.

From a single ipt you can obtain again the assembly if there are bodies in it, or without bodies..it can be quite a pain (split manually your main part in all the parts).

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 11
ampster40

What options did you use during the import?  There is an option "Import assembly as single part" that might have been enabled for you.  If it was enabled, try unselecting it.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: ampster40

I have attached an image of my browser if it helps

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Appears as if there are errors in the file (please see attachment)

Message 6 of 11
mcgyvr

I don't work with imported files much at all but I remember that when I had a step file that just came in as individual base features like that and I would just save that file a couple times (once for each base) and then delete all the base features except for each piece I wanted in that specific ipt file then drop them all into an assembly and reconstrain. 

example.. it was a linear rail assembly.. 1 base of the block and 1 of the rail in a single step file.. I would save the step as rail.ipt and delete the block base. then go to the step file again and save it as block.ipt and delete the rail base feature.. Then I had each piece (or base) as its own individual ipt file.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 11
JDMather

This paper is a little old now (written before multi-body solids).

It is a bit easier now.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: admaiora

Apparently the file was exported from NX (Unigraphics) as a STP file. This is the e-mail from the supplier.

"Hi Kevin, 

We use NX (Unigraphics)

I can send individual files, but for the on-going efficiency I would like to figure out why you cannot do much with the files I sent as an assembly with the Step file. 

When you start sending me files I prefer to receive them in one file (1 assembly) so we do not have to rebuild the assembly each time we send things back and forth. 

We can export other types of files as wellā€¦ 

Step203ā€¦Step214ā€¦.IGESā€¦DXFā€¦Parasolidā€¦prtā€¦.Catiaā€¦ 

Or even using the Creo interface for Unigraphics with ATB

We were able to import the step file I sent you into CREO 3.0 and the assembly seemed to be complete.

I am off to a meeting, but it may be helpful if we talk about this on the phone, I am free after 1:00

Steve"

Message 9 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:
.... it may be helpful if we talk about this on the phone, 

To get the most out of that phone conversation I recommend that you quickly become an expert on neutral format file transfers (about 6 mths of effort).

If you can upload the original file to A360 - I can do the translation in Inventor, SolidWorks and Creo and report any problems.

You should be able to open the file in any of these programs.  (apparently you already opened in Inventor, but just don't know how to use it)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 11
ampster40

@Anonymous wrote:

I have attached an image of my browser if it helps

I don't know if your browser contents would change or not depending on if you opened this up as a single part file or not, at least what's shown in your screenshot.  The very top of the browser would obviously appear different (would show assembly or part)

When you first go to Open the step file, highlight it and then select the Options button.  Check to see if you have "Import Assembly as Single Part" enabled.  Unchecking that may be all you need to do.

step-options.png

Message 11 of 11
ampster40
in reply to: ampster40

I should add that if it came down to disabling that option, that will provide you with an assy file made up of many part files.  The assy will be orientated correctly when you first open it.  However there will be no constraints, you would have to add them manually.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report