Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d PDF export shows deleted parts

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1501 Views, 9 Replies

3d PDF export shows deleted parts

Apologies in advance for making things difficult, because I cannot share the actual files in question due to security constraints, and cannot figure out how to replicate the error in "dummy" files, so we're going to have to do this via images and descriptions.

I have created a model in Inventor, and at one point had lifting hoops modeled in some of the components in the assembly. These lifting hoops have since been deleted from the parts in question, they do not show up in the tree of the parts, not of the tree in the final assembly, nor are the lifting hoops visible in any of the parts/assemblies themselves, nor are they visible in the 2D pdfs I export. However, when I export the model as a 3-D pdf, the lifting hoops are still shown. Is there any reason those parts would still be somewhere hidden in the model? Is there a way to more "fully" delete them or cause them to not show up in the pdfs?

Screen shots of the model view (without hoops) and 3-d pdf view (with hoops) are attached.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
hosford
in reply to: Anonymous

One thing make sure the visible model is truly the same as the exported model.

Try exporting the model as a step file, then view the step file.

I have no idea what autodesk has done to make the exporting to a 3d pdf so problematic and slow, it should take no longer than exporting a step file.

Thaddeus Hosford
NUC9i9QNX i9-9980HK, Win 10 Pro 64
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: hosford

When I export the model as a step file and then open it in Inventor, the lifting hoops are not shown. As far as I can tell, they only show up in the 3d pdf.

Note that I exported the file via the specific step file export interface. I also tried "creating" a step file via the option to generate and attach a step file in the 3D pdf exporter, but I can't find the step file that was created via that option, so I am not sure if that file would show something different.

Message 4 of 10
hosford

you might try copying your assembly to a new file, select all models in the history tree, copy and paste to a new assembly in the graphics screen.

then export.

Thaddeus Hosford
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021
Message 5 of 10
imajar

Try activating your master level of detail.  Do the lifting hoops show up in your inventor assembly?  If yes, then they were not deleted, they were suppressed.  

(I tried an export of an assembly with a suppressed part, and the suppressed part ended up in the 3D PDF, which is not expected behavior!).

Capture.JPG

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 6 of 10
hosford
in reply to: imajar

ajarrett

the same thing should have happened when he exported the assembly to a step file, but it didnt.

Thaddeus Hosford
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Aha! That sorted it out. I could have sworn I had actually deleted the part because I couldn't find it, but it was just hiding way lower down in my document tree than I though. It was in fact merely suppressed. I have updated the level of detail accordingly, and produced the appropriate export file.

Many thanks for your assistance!

Message 8 of 10
imajar

@Anonymous, Glad you figured it out!

@johnsonshiue, sorry to tag you like this.  See the above dialog - is it intended behavior for the 3D PDF export to include suppressed components?  It think most other export operations exclude suppressed content, so this seems inconsistent.  Thanks for taking a look.

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 9 of 10
hosford

One of the nice things about having the export include suppressed items is the ability to post process the file turning off and on items for multiple views of the same design. this can be done using adobe acrobat.

Thaddeus Hosford
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021
Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi Aaron,

No apology needed! I am glad to help. It is part of my job. Unfortunately, it is true that 3DPDF does not support LOD yet. Basically, it export an assembly in Master LOD. It does support Design View Rep. So, you can go to the assembly and right-click on each custom LOD -> Copy to Design View. Then export the assembly to PDF. The invisible components will remain hidden in the exported 3DPDF.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report