Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Issues I can't figure out. Please help

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
443 Views, 4 Replies

3 Issues I can't figure out. Please help

Hey all!  I'm an admitted newbie but I'm having three issues while designing some gears. If anyone can help with these issues that would be fantastic.

1) While using gear designer, the gears produced have significant overlap. Overlap on the order of 1mm on a 10mm feature (or more). This overlap is to the point that if I happened to produce these parts, they would not come close to meshing. What am I doing wrong?

2) For a 3D printed wishbone gear set, I want to leave a 0.2mm gap between meshing teeth (for printer tolerances). The teeth each have multiple faces. Is there any way for me to select multiple faces and specify that they must be 'x' gap between contact surfaces? If not is there a way to solve/implement minimum contact surface area for two given geometries (while still touching)?

3) This one is infuriating. I have used a loft to cut out a feature. I would love to use one or more of the resulting faces to perform a radial or extruded cut, but inventor seems determined to not allow that to happen. I cannot create a sketch on this face, any work-plane I create on this space is not aligned with the face (nor does it allow the selection of said face for creation of the plane), and even using the work planes, inventor refuses to recognize, project, or snap to any line of this face. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks much.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
WHolzwarth
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous  schrieb:

.. What am I doing wrong?

Smiley Wink You didn't attach your files.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
TheCADWhisperer

1 & 2

True Involute Toothforms.png

Given that gears are normally mass produced by companies that specialize in gear design geometry and purchased "off-the-self" the gears in Inventor (and SolidWorks) are "cosmetic" representation of gear toothforms, not true involute.

If you want true involute toothforms with access to tolerance and backlash settings for 3D printing you will have to dig a bit deeper into the Inventor tools and Export the tooth shapes for the Pinion and the Gear. 

Message 4 of 5
Frederick_Law

1: Check your design number and assembly.  With correct center distance and gear profile, gear should mesh.

Also the gear model in Inventor does not have true tooth profile.  It is a representation only.  For a 3D printed plastic gear, it is usable.

Message 5 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! For #3, it sounds like a file specific issue. Please share the file here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). There should be a logical reason to the behavior.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report