Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D sketching techniques

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
168 Views, 3 Replies

2D sketching techniques

Recently I started a thread about Assembly constraint techniques. This thread produced great insight and I thank all who participated. I would like to do same now for 2D sketching.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Assuming in IPT sketch not IDW? You will find as time goes on sketching is advanced if not extremely frustrating and time consuming. But my advise is to get as much under your belt as possible by looking at examples and trying to fix or diagnose anything you can get your hands on. Don't be afraid to try different techniques. And most importantly examine constraints and learn how to delete them and apply new ones to fix geometry. Use of construction geometry with normal geometry is a way of fixing geometry without excessive use of dimensions. You will notice that the geometry colour changes with the state of constraint, and if you do not constrain to origin geometry at some point in the sketch. the auto constraint tool will not apply the last two dimensions, so its a good idea to do this. I use the auto constraint tool to check the state of my sketches but apply the missing constraints manually. -- Laurence, Power is nothing without Control --- "bbtools" wrote in message news:18668554.1077037185689.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Recently I started a thread about Assembly constraint techniques. This thread produced great insight and I thank all who participated. I would like to do same now for 2D sketching.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Nothing improves 2D sketches as much as planning. Think about the part and its final shape before you start sketching, especially if you are trying to "design on the fly". Keep a sketch pad and pencil handy and doodle some ideas before you start on the computer. It sounds like a more time consuming way, but it will save on models that fall apart when you start making changes. The manual sketches also allow some of the 20/20 hindsight to be moved up to foresight. bbtools wrote: > Recently I started a thread about Assembly constraint techniques. This thread produced great insight and I thank all who participated. I would like to do same now for 2D sketching. -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.5214 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

First three rules I was taught: 1.) Most of the time - keep your sketches simple. Use placed features rather than sketched features for holes, chamfers, fillets, and patterns. 2.) Make your rough sketch as close to the constrained size as possible using the coordinate display in the status bar. This helps to prevent some of the problems constraining the sketch. 3.) Use constraints first, before dimensions. Try to use constraints in a way as to develop the sketch with as little dimensions as possible. -- Phil Kenewell ---------------------- Gage Designer North American Lighting, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report