Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Convert to Sheet Metal Fail

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
stevec781
1395 Views, 21 Replies

2013 Convert to Sheet Metal Fail

I wanted to trim this part so I copied a face from another part as a composite SURFACE using Copy Object.  Got the error message in the picture.

Deleted the copy object feature, and made the cut using an extrude, still wont convert.

Deleted everything except the initial derived component, still wont convert.

Did a full shut down and reopen - still wont convert.

Part is a write off which means down stream parts that reference it will also fail when I overwite it.

And was a waste of time as split feature wouldnt let me select the copied face as the split tool anyway

sheetmetalfail.JPG

21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
stevec781
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson

This is easy to reproduce.

Insert the attached part into an assembly containing some other parts.

Edit it in context.

Use Copy Object to copy a face from another part as a composite.

Now it will think it has 2 solids and wont allow the conversion to sheet metal.

Delete the copied face - the file is still corrupted and wont convert.

Message 22 of 22
blair
in reply to: stevec781

Unless my steel service center has a multi axis plasma unit that will cut beveled holes in the flat profile before it's broken, all the cuts will be perpendicular to the surface.

If the item is profile cut, then broken and finally placed in a saw and cut such as the U-Trough in your last post. Then this item would have a bevel and not all edge faces would be perpendicular to the surface.

The square hole with the elliptical hole with beveled edges would be indicative of a boring action at an angle to the surface of the plate. I guess if you have the money to spend on these operations....

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report