Inventor Engineer-To-Order (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor ETO Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor ETO topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove pieces of an extrusion?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2015 Views, 4 Replies

How do I remove pieces of an extrusion?

I am working on a project and I have reached a point where I cannot figure out what to do next. I have attached the Inventor file to this post. 

Below are three photos of the piece I am working on. 

Capture 2.PNG         Capture 3.PNG          Capture.PNG

The piece is a wooden post. In reality a rounded log will be placed in a saw and 4 cuts will be made in the bottom of the log. As the each cut is a made a "wedge shaped piece will be formed as the cuts intersect. In reality as these "wedges" are no longer attached to the post, the will be removed by hand and thrown away.

My problem is removing the "wedges" (highlighted in blue in photo 2) from the parent post. The steps I took to make the pose with the cuts are as follows:

1) Drawing on the XZ Plane of the circle that would be extruded to form the cylinder

2) Drawing on the YZ Plane of the 2 squares that would be extruded as a cut to form 2 of the cuts that are parallel to one another

3) Drawing on the XY Plane of the 2 squares that would be extruded as a cut to form the 2 cuts that are perpendicular to the first 2 cuts

The cuts are on an angle that can be seen in all of the views. To me, the wedge shape that is formed is fairly complex and I don't know how I could form the shape in a drawing to cut out from the cylinder, so my thought process was to form the shape via the "cuts" and then remove the wedges after all the cuts were finished. If you have any idea of what steps I may take to complete the removal of the wedges it would be a great help!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey Chris

I had a look at it. 

Created a sketch on one of the inner faces of the wedge, extruded outwards and compensated with a taper.

The two cuts are 91.7.. degree off, so i put in a taper of 2degree.

Hope it helps 🙂

(P.S the ipt file i added is Inventor 2017)

Karl-

2017-03-01_11-23-29.jpg

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Karl,

Thank you for the response! I am using Autodesk Inventor Professional 2016. When I try and open the file, I get the error shown below. 

Capture.PNG

Is there anyway you could save the file to allow me to open it with my program?

Chris

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Hey Chris,

Try this one 

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I got it to open. Thank you so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report