Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why: AutoCAD 2017: The License manager is not functioning or is improperly ..

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
mdavis22569
11904 Views, 15 Replies

Why: AutoCAD 2017: The License manager is not functioning or is improperly ..

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCA...

AutoCAD 2017: The License manager is not functioning or is improperly installed

Why ... 2018 has the same issue:

Then you get this Disclaimer at the bottom:

For 2018 Versions

Perform a Clean Uninstall and then reinstall the software.

Note: The uninstall process will affect other Autodesk products already installed on your computer. Make backups and get installation files (from Autodesk Account or  Virtual Agent) before uninstalling.

I'm helping anywhere from 2-10 people a day with this issue.   I've done 2 already today, and it's only 5:30 am

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Otto
in reply to: mdavis22569

Hello mdavis22569

It looks like you're experiencing issues with launching your product. The following link(s) should help you resolve the problem:

Troubleshooting why a program does not open

I'm a software-based HelpBot, designed to provide the information you need to get up and running with Autodesk products—any time, day or night. Your feedback will help train me to deliver more accurate and helpful answers. Thanks in advance! Also, please note that I'm only set up to respond to the first post of a topic, not to any replies. Thank you!

Helpful links: Find Serial Numbers and Product Keys | Find Downloads and Service Packs | Activate Autodesk software
Message 3 of 16
mdavis22569
in reply to: Otto

So I have 3 options, and I hate telling them to do #3

First is do the AKN, 

2nd thing to do:

In the Run window, type services.msc and then click OK.

Scroll down to FlexNet Licensing Service 64, double click on it

Change startup type to 'Automatic' and then start the service.

Right-click on the AutoCAD Icon, choose, 'Run as Administrator', and see if it runs correctly.

3rd

Run it as the trial for a day or 2 and I can show you how to change the license type in 2 minutes to either your Sign In or Serial Number Lic. Type.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 4 of 16
mdavis22569

PS  ... OTTO IS WAY OFF ..... 

I gave the AKN name etc and this is what it told me:

Issue:

You want to troubleshoot why your AutoCAD-based program does not open when you double-click the program icon.

Solution:

Try taking the following steps to determine why the program won't open:
  1. Reset AutoCAD Settings as follows:
  1. Install the latest service pack:

http://usa.autodesk.com/support/downloads/

1. Update the graphics card driver.

Find recommended hardware

1. If the issue persists, create a new local user account on the computer and give it Administrator permissions. Then log into the computer with a newly created test account and see if AutoCAD launches properly under this user account as well.

If AutoCAD also crashes under the test user account, do a complete uninstall and re-install following these instructions:

Recommended uninstall and reinstall procedures for AutoCAD

R
ant over .... just frustrated that this issues is going into it's 2nd year.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 16

@mdavis22569

Are you saying by running it in trial mode for a couple of days and then switching the license information resolves the issue if the steps in the related AKN doesn't work?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 6 of 16

I have it fail 1/2 the time doing the  AKN.

I do the license change ...and yes it has worked. Not sure why.

One I'm working on now ... 

He did the AKN, didn't work. Did the uninstall. He did the reinstall, then one start up: 

He's getting the  000-0000000 error. He's not able to get in and fix it because he's already done the full 30 day trial, and doesn't get the option to do anything else

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Network-License-Serial-N...

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
mdavis22569

bump

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 8 of 16
mdavis22569

Knock knock....

Who's there ....

No one apparently .... would love some feed back 

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 9 of 16
natasha.l

Hello @mdavis22569,

The is a newer updated reset license information workflow, for 2017 products started as a trial you can easy do this by delete the and a new one will automatically be generated with the activation & specifying the new licensing information. Make sure you have temporarily disabled security software & signed in with the Admin Windows profile. 

2017 & Newer Autodesk Products

1. At the top-right of the screen select the drop-down triangle next to the User Name to display a drop-down list help drop down.png
  1. Click “Manage License...” to open the License Manager screen.
  2. Locate the product and click “Change license type” next to the product, it will close. 
  3. Launch the product, on the "Let’s Get Started" screen select the appropriate license type and follow the prompts.

If the product is not accessible:

1. Locate the following folders 
  • PC Installs: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\CLM\LGS\<product key>_<<product version>>\
  • MAC Installs: \Library\Application\Support\Autodesk\CLM\LGS\<product key>_<<product version>>\
  • Additional Folders

Note: Windows users may need to set their Explorer window to view hidden files and folders.

1. Delete the LGS.data file named above 
  2. Start the program and the Let’s Get Started screen should display.
  3. Select the appropriate license type and follow the prompts.

OR

4. If you select "Network License" for a Network License (license file)
  5. "Specify a license server" screen will display, input the information already specified in the license file 2080@(your server name)

*If the following does not resolve the issue conduct a Clean Uninstall of the program if you continue to experience an issue. 

Please "Accept As Solution" if a reply has helped resolved the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 10 of 16
mdhutchinson
in reply to: natasha.l

We had this issue recently. Turned out to be malware. We got rid of that but the issue continued.

We opted to replace the machine.

Message 11 of 16
Mark.Lancaster

@natasha.l

Stepping in on @mdavis22569 big toes..  Smiley Very Happy

Autodesk needs to look at this because the solution only works 1/2 of the time.  In addition if you can't get into the software you can't select change the license type as you pointed out.  In addition this article states for 2018 the solution is a clean uninstall.  Why is a clean uninstall a solution for 2018 and not 2017?  By the way clean uninstalls are not working either.  This theme occurs a daily basis and not every time is it fixed by the solutions provided in that article.  If a person like @mdavis22569 is seeing 3 issues within a few hours and nothing works, well we the users are inquiring what else we can do.  The users are out of option and we are not hearing anything back from Autodesk to try other things.  Smiley Wink

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 12 of 16

Thank you @Mark.Lancaster    

It's frustrating ...when you're providing support for ADSK products and this error keeps coming up over a dozen times a week for almost a year that I've been doing support. That's just me I have 3 other EE"s who've seen it just as much as well.

I've seen it in 2017 and now 2018....

There have been about 5 changes to the AKN about this issue. I'm updating my template all the time for my routine reply to this issue ... 

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 13 of 16
natasha.l

Hello @mdavis22569,

Does the error pop-up for all license types or one specific type? 

Also by chance have you found this newer article it was hard for me to find myself give it try: You don't get a serial number when you renew your subscription (Windows)

Message 14 of 16
mdavis22569

@natasha.l

I'm all set ....

It wasn't a solution provided here ... however thank you for the time and help in this matter ....

Mike

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
natasha.l

Hello @mdavis22569,

No problem, we wanted to make sure you received the support you needed. Thank you for reporting back. 

For other visitors of this post we do have more than one article for this common problem and this continues to be a problem. 

Each device can vary in the way it is configured to run. E.g. Permissions, third party software, network configuration & etc. we currently have several articles that cover a different workflow for different situations. 

The prerequisite tool can be used to check the environment and permissions of the device used to install and run Autodesk products.

Current articles for a License Reset:

AutoCAD: The License manager is not functioning or is improperly installed

You don't get a serial number when you renew your subscription (Windows)

How to change or reset licensing on your 2017 software

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

I had the same problem, it was working and then suddenly I started getting the same error, I went through the google and I tried to find a solution, well one of the solutions suggest going to 

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\CLM\LGS\<product key>_<<product version>>

but I did find the ProgramData file on my C drive !!

I didn't want to waste my time uninstall and reinstall the programs again, so I went through an AutoCAD article and I found something interesting and it was 

• The FLEXnet Licensing Service is stopped and/or disabled.

at the beginning, I didn't know how to make sure that this program is running!

try this solution 

1 - go to the start menu and write msconfig 

2 - services

3 - make sure that FLEXnet Licensing Service is enabled 

4 - if it's not enabled just click on the box next to it and restart your computer

in this few steps, I was able to run Autocad again without any error and without wasting time uninstall and reinstall  Autocad

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report