Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thought I'd get better hardware perfomance than this

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
224 Views, 1 Reply

Thought I'd get better hardware perfomance than this

Hi all,

I recently replaced my 2009 MacBook Pro with a 2008 Mac Pro and upgraded the graphics card, but my animation playback performance is much slower than I expected. I am testing playback with a simple 1-character animation using oen of iAnimate.net's characters, getting only 3 fps during playback (Real-time 24 fps). Here's the system information:

Software: Maya 2016 SP5, running Viewport 2.0 w/Parallel Evaluation and GPU Override

Computer: Mac Pro (Early 2008)

Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory: 8GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 2047 MB

NVIDIA Web Driver: 346.03.05f02 (released 12/15/2015)

I bought this machine thinking that it would far outperform my old MacBook Pro, but it doesn't seem to make much difference for what I really needed it for - animation speed. I'm admittedly not a hardware expert, so any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you for your time,

Chris

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

First pass, what jumps out is that with dual quad-core processors (8 physical, 16 w/hyperthreading) you've bottlenecked your system with only 8 GB RAM.  You should have at *least* 16 GB, more if possible.  Dual-socket Xeon motherboards can support fantastic amounts of RAM so you should have no problem populating it.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report