Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2023.1.2 update "error 1603" when downloaded from Accounts Page

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
authentic-platypus
2494 Views, 15 Replies

Revit 2023.1.2 update "error 1603" when downloaded from Accounts Page

I'm attempting to update to Revit 2023.1.2 using Autodesk Access. Here are the version/build numbers of the Revit 2023 version currently installed:

20220503_1030(x64)

I can click "Update" in the Access app, and a progress bar appears that says "Updating...". It gets to over 90% complete then displays the message "Unable to update". This message is unproductive and unhelpful because it does not really indicate what type of error occurred, just that there is an error. Does someone know what this means and how I might remedy the problem?

authenticplatypus_0-1688747118738.png

[ The subject line of this post has been edited for clarity by @pendean Original: Autodesk Access "Unable to update" Revit 2023.1.2]

Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

try downloading from your Autodesk Account

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 16
Message 4 of 16

Thanks both for your responses! It looks like the update still fails when installing from the Product Updates page (Error 1603):

authenticplatypus_0-1689009821855.png

From what I could glean online, this error could have any number of causes, and it has a full range of the typical solutions, including just reinstalling Revit 2023. Would that be the best way to resolve this, or is there a better solution that I'm not seeing? Does Error 1603 point to a specific cause, or is this just a generic error code?

Message 5 of 16

Error 1603 almost always means a Microsoft pre-requisite is not available on your PC (as you might have discovered): reinstall alone is never the best answer.

What did SEARCH FOR A SOLUTION on that pop-up offer for fixes?
Message 6 of 16

It takes me here (just an empty search page). I can type in the error number, but it just shows me forum results with a variety of solutions, mostly for older versions of Revit or other software. I have the latest version of Windows 10 Pro, fresh install only a couple weeks ago:

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎6/‎16/‎2023
OS build 19045.3086
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19041.1000.0

Wouldn't the Revit installer include whatever dependencies it required?

Message 7 of 16

Error 1603 is thrown by MSIExec and could be anything. You could try to re-install Revit (without uninstalling) and the run the update again. If that doesn't work, remove / reinstall Revit and then try the update.

Message 8 of 16

The Revit 2023.1.2 Update includes multiple components and a review of the install logs will be required to determine which caused the installation failure.  If you can collect these files and post them, we should be able to identify the cause of this failure.

From the C:\Users\<USER_NAME>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\ODIS folder, we would want to review the following files: Install.log, Setup.log, and Summary.log.

From the C:\Users\<USER_NAME>\AppData\Local\Temp folder, we would want to review the following files: OpenStudio-CLI-4r_2023_install.log, FormIt360Converter_2023_install.log, RCLCRVT_2023_install.log, RVTSP7_2023_{7346B4A0-2300-0510-0000-705C0D862004}_install.log, RCAO_2023_install.log, RVTCPSTLCON_2023_install.log, and RevitUnitSchemas_2023_install.log.

Tony Michniewicz
Autodesk Delivery Team

Anthony Michniewicz
Principal QA Analyst
Message 9 of 16

@Thanos603, here are the files in a zipped folder. Thanks for taking a look--the sheer volume of logs is mind boggling. @Simon_Weel, I would have to uninstall and reinstall--will try this if all else fails.

Message 10 of 16
Simon_Weel
in reply to: Thanos603

There's a log collector for that....

Message 11 of 16

After reviewing your log files, it appears that the other components in the patch are being updated correctly but the Revit specific update is failing due to the following error:
Product: Revit 2023 - Update '{9CA05B9B-2308-0510-A1B4-FFF7A680FE55}' could not be removed. Error code 1647. Additional information is available in the log file C:\Users\CAW50\AppData\Local\Temp\RVTSP7_2023_{7346B4A0-2300-0510-0000-705C0D862004}_install.log.

This is not an error that I'm familiar with and have asked other members of my team for troubleshooting assistance.  I'll let you know what I find but until then, I have a couple suggestions:

• Delete the following registry key if it still exists on your system: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2023\R1.2
  • Check the Version value of the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Revit\2023\Add-Ons\Autodesk Cloud Models for Revit 2023.  This value will help determine whether the other components are properly updating or not.
  • If the problem continues, please use the official log collection tool to gather a full set of install logs for review.

Tony Michniewicz
Autodesk Delivery Team

Anthony Michniewicz
Principal QA Analyst
Message 12 of 16

@Thanos603, the R1.2 registry key you pointed out does not exist on my system. The Version key for Autodesk Cloud Models for Revit 2023 is 23.1.20.70. I'll download the log collector and get some logs to you soon.

Message 13 of 16

@authentic-platypus This is somewhat of a known issue with various updates.  The only way to resolve it is to uninstall Revit, then reinstall the base build of Revit 2023, then apply the latest update.  Here are the links to download Revit 2023:

Here's an example (other product updates) where updates are failing to install and resolved by reinstalling:

Inventor 2024.1 & Nesting Failure - Autodesk Community - Subscription, Installation and Licensing

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 14 of 16

@Darin.Green, am I just supposed to run each of those installers in order? I installed the first, then got an error saying Revit 2023 is already installed when trying to install part two. Thank you for your help.

Message 15 of 16

No, you only need to double-click one of them which will extract the other parts and start the full installer.

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 16 of 16

Thanks so much everyone for your help! Thanks @Darin.Green, I was able to apply the update after installing (clicking just one of the files as you pointed out) the base build.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report