Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 can't be installed on Mac

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
zombiejump2012
4672 Views, 17 Replies

Maya 2017 can't be installed on Mac

Please help! I downloaded Maya 2017 education version. At the end of installation is shows installation failed (as the image shows on attachment). I tried to uninstall, turned off firewall, and reinstall but still the same. My mac system is Sierra 10.12 which meet the requirement to install Maya. Have no idea what should I do now, plz help.Snip20170310_2.pngSnip20170310_1.png

Tags (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Otto
in reply to: zombiejump2012

Hello zombiejump2012 and welcome to the Autodesk community!

It looks like you need to find out more about downloading or re-downloading software for Mac, or are having issues that may be resolved by re-downloading Mac software. The following article(s) should help you resolve the problem:

Mac compatible software

If this information was helpful, please consider marking it as an Accepted Solution by clicking on the "Accept as Solution" link, below. Taking a moment to do this will help others with similar questions find useful answers. Thank you!

Kudos (click on the link or the "thumbs-up!" icon), are also gratefully received! (Even a bot likes praise.)

If this answer missed the mark, please let us know so that other community members can lend a hand. Any additional details might help, too: consider including relevant screenshots, log files, error messages, or system specs.

I'm a software-based HelpBot, designed to provide the information you need to get up and running with Autodesk products—any time, day or night. Your feedback will help train me to deliver more accurate and helpful answers. Thanks in advance! Also, please note that I'm only set up to respond to the first post of a topic, not to any replies. Thank you!

Helpful links: Find Serial Numbers and Product Keys | Find Downloads and Service Packs | Activate Autodesk software
Message 3 of 18
zombiejump2012
in reply to: Otto

I saw other posts said just ignore the installation failed part. I tried, It works....

Message 4 of 18

The directions for installing suck. I went through their directions for installing, activating, etc. I finally got to the right screen, but only through poking around. Their directions for Download and Install lead you all over the place. I ended up in that area and clicked on the sidebar navigation for Online Activation and Registration (https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/download-install/activate/online-activation-registra...). It shows you a screen that says that you have a choice between two boxes, one says Enter a Serial Number, and one says Use a Network License. This is really stupid because they do not tell you how to get to that screen.

As a Mac User, I was thinking the same as you, if they need a serial number and it's supposed to be during installation, surely they would ask during the install wizard as they also ask you to agree to their terms. The directions actually say to launch the product which they refer to as an exe file. And then it will give you that screen to activate. But no, this is not the case. They do not even bother with Mac users. (I think it is rather insulting that someone says we don't know how to install mac software, not cool!)

Here is what you do: Once you see the failed screen just turn that off. Go to your Applications folder and you should see the folder for Autodesk. I opened it and opened the the Maya folder. Double click on the Maya app. This should take you to the screen that I was talking about before that they said would open with installation. You are faced with two the two boxes. Click on the one that says Enter a Serial Number. You will then go to a screen that tells you that you have a free trial until you activate. There are two buttons at the bottom. One says Run, the other says Activate. Click on the Activate and you will get to the screen where you can actually enter the Serial Number and Product Key. Click on Next and it should tell you it is activated. I have an instructor license to learn from and to instruct with. I can put it on two machines.

If you do not have the Serial Number and Product Key handy (I had taken a screen shot of mine when I first got the product installer), then go to the Autodesk Knowledge Network: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/. Log into your account. Then, go to the top navigation to the right and under your name, click on it for the drop-down menu and select Manage Products & Downloads. Look for the product (Maya in this case) and you'll see that it will tell you what license you have. I should say More Actions, and you can open that up. Your Serial Number and Product Key should be there.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 18
ltennantJHN94
in reply to: Otto

Informing us that we need to learn more about installing Mac software was incredibly UNHELPFUL! It's the directions from Autodesk that need to be adjusted. The install directions were for a Windows install. The screens shown in the directions for Activate and Install do not tell a Mac user how to get to the proper screen. It was by trial and error, and a great amount of frustration that I found out how to activate with the license I have. CHANGE YOUR DIRECTIONS! THEY ARE INSUFFICIENT!

Message 6 of 18

Hi zombiejump2012,

What do you mean ignore the installation failed part? I got the same problem as you have.

Message 7 of 18

After you installed Maya and it shows failed installation. I went to the file (it seems like it has already installed all the files) and open Maya, after I registered my account, it seems work. I saw another post says somehow autodesk has a bug on installation. 

Message 8 of 18

It works for me, thanks a lot!!!!

Message 9 of 18
natasha.l

Hello @zombiejump2012@kelland1995@ltennantJHN94,

As @zombiejump2012 mentioned Autodesk is aware of an issue causing the crash of the install of a Mac for 2016 & 2017 software.

Please review MAC user install error AdSSO.pkg if visitors continue to experience an issue. 

@ltennantJHN94 sorry for the inconvenience I have reviewed some of our articles for Mac installs and it can be inefficient. Thank you for your contribution and letting the community know of your findings. 

Message 10 of 18
LeDebut
in reply to: natasha.l

Yo... I was having the same issue with installation failed to exit.  I also tried to run maya from the applications folder.  When I would select sign in Maya would crash.  I wasn't able to use a SERIAL NUMBER and Key because my account indicated I needed to Sign in.  

I combed forum threads for hours trying to delete hidden files and such.  This fix did some voodoo on my issue and BLAM, it works now. 

FIX:  I used the AdSSO install linked in @natasha.l response. After installing that update, I was able to properly sign in.  

STEPS:

1. intall maya 2017 (ignore the failure message as seen in this thread)

2. install AdSSO.pkg

3. Run Maya 2017

4. Select Sign In

5. user your AD sign in. 

LINK

Please review MAC user install error AdSSO.pkg if visitors continue to experience an issue. 

Cheers.

Message 11 of 18
martin

The Serial Number page just says "Just sign in".  No Serial number

Message 12 of 18
ltennantJHN94
in reply to: martin

You are signed in, otherwise you could not ask the question. Hmmm, can you give us a screen shot showing your progress up to that point?

Message 13 of 18
martin
in reply to: ltennantJHN94

I ran the adSSO-v2.pkg, and that fixed the issue. Thank you.

Martin
Message 14 of 18
martin

I still have no idea what my serial number is.

Message 15 of 18
ltennantJHN94

Since you are already in the Autodesk community page, go to the top right corner and look for Account Settings next to your account name. Then when you see your profile, at the top navigation you'll see clickable text link MANAGEMENT. That will take you to the Products and Services page. You should see a full list of the products. Go look for MAYA. And since you have already downloaded the Maya package it should show that you have one seat. You should also see a text link for Downloads and More Actions. In the More Actions you can click on the Serial Numbers and a pop-up window will give you your serial number and product key.

I hope this helps. I'm new to having Autodesk myself. I'm an Adobe user.

Message 16 of 18
martin

I have been there.  It only shows "Just sign in".  I was unable to sign into Maya because of an error with the installation. However, that error is fixed now.  It still does not show a serial number there (It does show serial numbers for previous versions). Thank you for your help with this.

Message 17 of 18
natasha.l

Hello @martin,

This sounds like a sign in only product.

1. On the Let’s Get Started screen select "Sign In" with your Autodesk Account credentials 

LGS Screen

If you continue to experience an issue: 

How to change or reset licensing 

1. At the top-right of the screen select the drop-down triangle next to the User Name to display a drop-down list help drop down.png
  2. Click “Manage License...” to open the License Manager screen.
  3. Locate the product and click “Change license type” next to the product, the product will close.
  4. Launch the product and try again 
Message 18 of 18
roepupW4JDN

Thank you! Now lets make some art!

-ISA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report