Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 2018 just won't open

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
4814 Views, 13 Replies

Max 2018 just won't open

Max seems to be calling up .Net framework 4.0.30319, but throwing an error. 

I've tried running it as admin, tried running the "switch graphics mode" and everything. Nada.

Here's the Even viewer details:

Application: 3dsmax.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
at <Module>.wWinMainCRTStartup()

Max goes through the splash screen, and that's it. 

So I guess color me unimpressed.....as usual.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

3ds max 2018 is dead;/

new render arnold 5.0 not support general maps.......this is big bad update

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

3ds max 2018 is dead;/

new render arnold 5.0 not support general maps.......this is big bad update

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

I have the same problem. Smiley Indifferent
The same error, the program crashes on loading. Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 14
natasha.l

Hello @Anonymous, @Anonymous @Anonymous

Product crashes can be due to several issues. I have listed some of the common issues associated with it. I will update you on the system requirements for 2018 as they are not listed yet. 

1. Make sure you have an updated graphics card driver by checking the manufacturer's website (Assign the correct Graphics Card - Step #8)
  2. Check the Operating System needed & the required updates by reviewing the system requirement for the software 
  3. Update your product with the latest service pack or Hotfixes by visiting the Autodesk website or account
  4. Check for the needed .Net Framework remove and reinstall the Microsoft .NET Framework 
  5. Locate the install log or Control Panel for Microsoft Visual C++ have properly installed (try repair or uninstall & reinstall)
  6. Reboot the computer
  7. In Windows Start, delete unnecessary items in the Windows Temp folder, but do not delete the Windows Temp folder itself. You can locate the Temp folder by entering %TEMP% in the Search bar of Windows Start
  8. Temporarily disable antivirus & firewall, use Task Manager to "End Task" feature to end the anti-virus software or other items that could be running in the background
  9. If the above does not resolve the issue continue & try Clean Uninstall of the product and downloaded via Autodesk Virtual Agent and install the product again

Keep us posted. Smiley Happy

Please "Accept As Solution" if a reply has helped resolved the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: natasha.l

I've already decided you are correct. I will wait for #3. That's usually about the time when most of us would consider the software out of the initial "beta" release we get every year.

Just to be clear, I'm calling every release beta until the usual June-ish service pack fixing all of the issues that should have never been in the software in an official release. There are a lot of people who don't speak english as there primary language and I wanted to be inclusive and make sure everyone understood the (sad) joke. 

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

I would like to take some time to illustrate why you should NOT  provide customer service from a can. Half of these responses don't apply. 

1. This is often good advice, although, there's conflicting information there. You're telling me to get the new one, but someone else from support is always telling me to only use Approved ones.
  2. Why would this not be number one? Regardless, you don't list this anywhere. Thanks for the help. 
  3. It just came out. There aren't any updates, and there won't be any updates any time soon unless a bunch of other people realize they can't install.
  4. My version is newer than the one you're using and I'm not getting Any other .NET errors. This is why I'm thinking this is a bug.
  5. The instructions there want me to install every known C++ install for both x86 and 64bit? That's a joke. No way am I doing that. That's like saying, "hey, install every font you own in order to be sure you have the right font in an old document" No, that would murder your computer. Just figure out which one you need, and install that.
  6. Again, waiting till now to suggest that? 
  7. This one was good advice. 
  8. I have Never worked for a place that this is allowed. The amount of effort that it takes to do this exceeds the amount of effort it would be to just leave Autodesk, learn a completely new software and workflow, and start from scratch. The only way to do that most places is to remove a computer from group policy completely, do what you need, then put it back in. That will cause more issues than it's worth unless the entire system is brand new.
  9. You're suggesting I do a clean install in a way that does not exist. Virtual Agent does not have 2018 installs. 

So thank for for #7. That was the one thing that actually made sense. I mean, it didn't Help anything. But it made sense to suggest it. 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

It is interesting. Smiley Indifferent
I have broken c++ 2017 redistributable.

I tried to reinstall, and as soon as I installed c++ 2017 itself redistributable, I restarted the 3D max before rebooting and it started!
And after a simple reboot, already the same error again ... Smiley Surprised
Why???
That is, the problem is most likely in these redistributable.
I gave you a tip, and I'll try to reinstall my redistributable, and if I can fix it, I'll write exactly how I fixed it. Smiley Wink

In any case, thanks that you are, autodesk. 

Message 9 of 14
monster.blues

@Anonymous.engelkemier

Uninstalling Arnold (MaxToA) from control panel fixed it for me. I don't use Arnold, but you could try the Arnold update from SolidAngle which is newer than the one that shipped with Max 2018.

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

So in my case a developer contacted me and said Vorbis was causing a problem. He said to update it. I Think FL Studio 12 installed that? I'm not messing with that. 

I have no need for audio in Max, so I just moved the plugin from the folder. 

In my case: remove C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2018\stdplugs\ProSound.dlc

It Might be worth just grabbing a bunch of the files in the stdplugs folder and move them. See if Max starts up. Just start adding half back in at a time until you narrow down what the cause of the crash is. Just a thought.

The answer is almost never on the list of things you get from support. The only times I have ever been helped by anyone at Autodesk the actual developer contacted me. Now if someone could just change the system to plain text and let me read the reports myself I wouldn't even have to contact them!

Good luck to you other crashers. Hopefully this helps you, it was the correct solution for me.

Message 11 of 14
natasha.l

Hello @Anonymous,

Thank you for contributing to the community by providing the issue you encountered in your environment and how you were able to resolve it. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 14
TorgeirHolm8901

Thank you for posting this. I was having the exact same issue, and had tried everything else that had been recommended. I also have FL Studio 12 installed, and removing ProSound.dlc worked for me as well. 

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I also confirm that the error has disappeared. Smiley Wink
Now I would like to know how to return the sound. 
After all, someone needs it. Can eat a template solution, for example another working plug-in. 
Or Will it be enough to wait for the update, and return the file ProSound.dlc to the folder stdplugs? (Or will there be a new file?) 
This error is registered, and will be fixed? Smiley Indifferent

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

I have problems with one of the computers. 3DsMAX starts to load, but after an second loading stops with no error messages, no nothing. I have clean install with StingRay and 3ds Max Interactive.

Here's the Even viewer details:

Faulting application name: 3dsmax.exe, version: 20.0.0.966, time stamp: 0x58b4e2e6
Faulting module name: ExchangeStorePackageManager.dll, version: 20.0.0.966, time stamp: 0x58b4e077
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000001e78
Faulting process ID: 0x28d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2f4c5044ccf32
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2018\3dsmax.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2018\ExchangeStorePackageManager.dll
Report ID: 2f8ec99a-fd43-4203-9a25-fa5a1565cb22
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report