Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Login failed for user

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
fw_koch
120 Views, 5 Replies

Login failed for user

Hi Guys,

We have changed our client from one domain to a new one (Active Directory on-prem) using the ProfWiz tool from ForensiT. Say DOMAINA to DOMAINB.

Everything went well, but now when he is using his Autodesk Revit 2025, he gets the following error:

System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityException: The underlying provider failed on Open. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user 'DOMAINB\USERNAME'. at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.DbConnectionDispatcher.<>c.<Open>b__13_0(DbConnection t, DbConnectionInterceptionContext c) at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.InternalDispatcher`1.Dispatch[TTarget,TInterceptionContext](TTarget target, Action`2 operation, TInterceptionContext interceptionContext, Action`3 executing, Action`3 executed) at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.DbConnectionDispatcher.Open(DbConnection connection, DbInterceptionContext interceptionContext) at System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityClient.EntityConnection.<Open>b__55_0() at System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.DefaultSqlExecutionStrategy.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<Execute>b__0() at System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.DefaultSqlExecutionStrategy.Execute[TResult](Func`1 operation) at System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.DefaultSqlExecutionStrategy.Execute(Action operation) at System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityClient.EntityConnection.Open() ClientConnectionId:5af8ea56-28f5-4519-9601-39556159c800 Error Number:18456,State:1,Class:14 --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityClient.EntityConnection.Open() at System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.ObjectContext.EnsureConnection(Boolean shouldMonitorTransactions) at System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.ObjectContext.ExecuteInTransaction[T](Func`1 func, IDbExecutionStrategy executionStrategy, Boolean startLocalTransaction, Boolean releaseConnectionOnSuccess) at System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.<>c__DisplayClass41_0.<GetResults>b__0() at System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.DefaultSqlExecutionStrategy.Execute[TResult](Func`1 operation) at System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.GetResults(Nullable`1 forMergeOption) at System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.<System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<T>.GetEnumerator>b__31_0() at System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyEnumerator`1.MoveNext() at System.Collections.Generic.LargeArrayBuilder`1.AddRange(IEnumerable`1 items) at System.Collections.Generic.EnumerableHelpers.ToArray[T](IEnumerable`1 source) at StructUnitOfVolumeMarshal.loadTable(Int32 nForce)

The underlined part stands out for me as the obvious issue. But how do we go about to resolve this? I suspect it is trying to use DOMAINB to authenticate but Revit is possibly expecting credentials from DOMAINA.

This is a standalone local install, not pointing to a SQL server.

Desktop Connection Manager also fails to load with the following error (also being authentication issues):

Application: DesktopConnector.Applications.Tray.exe
Error: CLR exception - code e0434352 (first/second chance not available)
Crashed Module Name: mscorlib.dll
Exception Address: 0x00007ffb3f60f20c
Exception Code: e0434352
Exception Flags: 22
Exception Parameters: ffffffff80070005, 0, 0, 0, 7ffb2fc10000
Managed Exception Type: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
Managed Exception Address: 0x000001b3aeb1e8d0

All other applications appear to be working just fine, and the client has tried to re-install Revit. But is still getting the same error. I have tried updating the Desktop Connection to the latest version. I have not tried to do a clean install as I need to ensure the client won't lose any work when deleting the mentioned folders in the article or cache.

My knowledge of Revit is very limited to none. 🙂

Labels (5)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Simon_Weel
in reply to: fw_koch

You might want to rename the Revit folders in the users profile, like C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2025 and C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2025

And also rename registry key Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Revit\2025

Message 3 of 6
fw_koch

Thank you Simon, I will give that a go today and let you know how I get on.

Message 4 of 6
fw_koch

We have managed to resolve the problem on one computer by doing the following:

With the help of these two articles, we created a new DB instance:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2025/ENU/?guid=GUID-4267BB3B-909F-42AF-8216-CB8789689A19

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ADSTPR/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-340B3252-FB74-4CC6-99B5-8738F767D394

Then updated these XML files to reference the new instance:

DatabaseConfiguration.xml

ASSettings_Advance.xml

The Desktop Connector still fails to load with the exception error and authenticating, but the Steel add-ins are at least now working within Revit itself which is what we need.

What is the function of the Decktop Connector?

Message 5 of 6
Simon_Weel
Message 6 of 6
fw_koch

Thank you Simon. Now I know what it is for, good article for a newbie on Rivet like me 🙂

Now to figure out how to resolve the authentication error on Desktop Connector (full error is in my original post):
Managed Exception Type: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
Managed Exception Address: 0x000001b3aeb1e8d0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report