Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Atom Processor for light 3ds Max use?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1127 Views, 3 Replies

Intel Atom Processor for light 3ds Max use?

I have a massive desktop at home for doing heavy lifting, but I need something portable for school (simple modeling, materials/maps). I'm looking at subnotebooks for portability and I can't find anything on the intertubes about the Intel Atom processor and 3ds Max. All I've found is a youtube video of a guy running CAD 2008 on an EEEpc, but that's it.

It's my understanding that the Atom is comparable to an old Celeron, so I'm thinking it's possible. Just want to know if anybody has seen/heard of a successful install before I order a computer.
n
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dongray
in reply to: Anonymous

Don't know, if it's like an old Celeron, they were pretty gutless, since the processor speed memory was at a bare minimum.
Maybe see if you can test one to see if it holds up to your expectations.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Do not get an Atom or an old Celeron, even for light use these processors will give very poor performance. I recommend maybe a bottom of the line dual-core intel or AMD, such as the Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 or AMD Turion x2 Dual-Core TL-56, I have a TL-50 AMD processor, at it runs pretty good with Max, not fast, but decent for light things.

If you are already set on an atom, then just go for it, I don't want to alter your decision. But I'm just saying if you spend like $500-$600 on a T5250 or TL-56 laptop, performance will be better.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

well, I was looking at portability over performance. I don't want to carry around a 6lb laptop when I can deal with a 2lb cheapo that will do the basics.

Nobody out there has tried to run Max on an Atom processor?!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report