Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete tmp C:\Autodesk\WI install files?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
4192 Views, 5 Replies

Delete tmp C:\Autodesk\WI install files?

I have several folders in the C:\Autodesk\WI path with names similar to "2.5GB AB_4A4E.tmp".  Are these really temporary install files?  Has anyone experienced troubles after deleting them? 

They take up over 12 GB.  I could use the space.

Thanks in advance....

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
natasha.l
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous, 

Yes, you can delete the folder C:\Autodesk\WI, the initials WI mean Web Installer a.k.a streaming installer it is not usable as it has a time stamp expiring the installer shortly after download.  

Please "Accept Solution" if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 3 of 6
jasonmccool8686
in reply to: Anonymous

Can Autodesk not clean up those files if they have a built-in expiration? I came across this thread because the WI folder is 52.8 GB on my computer, with 3 years worth of files in it...

Message 4 of 6
pendean
in reply to: jasonmccool8686

@jasonmccool8686 wrote:

Can Autodesk not clean up those files if they have a built-in expiration? I came across this thread because the WI folder is 52.8 GB on my computer, with 3 years worth of files in it...

No legit software vendor is ever going to act like a malicious software vendor to add or remove content from your PC when they decide without your interaction and involvement. It's never EVER going to happen. Sorry.

You alone (or your IT) are in charge of your PC all the time.

Message 5 of 6
jasonmccool8686
in reply to: pendean

Excuse me, @pendean?!?!? Yes, I am in charge of my PC, but cleaning up temp files after an install is NOT acting like a malicious software; it's called responsible code-writing. Maybe you're why we have so much bloatware on our computers. Good grief! And in case you want to continue expressing your ignorance, I have seen plenty of LARGE, reputable software companies whose update routines will ask if the user wants the updater program to remove an old version of the program as it installs the new version. So yes, an install program can certainly delete content on a user's computer, clean installs are quite possible, and an installer not leaving garbage on your computer should be reasonably expected.

Message 6 of 6
pendean
in reply to: jasonmccool8686

@jasonmccool8686 wrote:

...I have seen plenty of LARGE, reputable software companies whose update routines will ask if the user wants the updater program to remove an old version of the program as it installs the new version....

Then feel free to ask Autodesk to make this available, they have not in 40+years to date, here is the link

https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

And here is how to open a support case with Autodesk if you are on subscription to seek out Autodesk Support's help to confirm if there are any other options today:
https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-find-my-sup...

Best wishes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report