Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Product Key and Serial Number

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
labinfounivates
12634 Views, 11 Replies

Changing Product Key and Serial Number

The universy where i whork for have an Education Master Suite plan who is expiring soon and we've now changed to the Education Community license.

The problem is that we have hundreds of machines with Autocad, is there a way for me to change the Product Key and Serial Number In batch?

Our license is network.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

@labinfounivates

If you have a network license there's no need to change serial # and product key because activation comes from the network license.  However I would assume the version of your AutoCAD is about to expire due to the 3 year license rule.   Meaning in the end you will need to uninstall and put the correct version in.  Remember the 2018 version is out now and schools can only get the latest and 3 versions back.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 12

Yes, the license is going to expire in July.

Message 4 of 12
natasha.l
in reply to: labinfounivates

Hello @labinfounivates,

Please make sure that you have a network license environment if you do you can change the version to avoid having to changing it in the very near future Educational customers have access to verisons 2015 through 2016 available to them.  

Follow the steps here to request license files using RegisterOnce for an Educational license file. 

Please "Accept As Solution" if a reply has helped resolved the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 5 of 12
labinfounivates
in reply to: natasha.l

I have already done this, i got the serial.

My problem is with the Product Key and Serial Number which are different. I wish not to reinstall Autocad on every single machine on the campus just because a serial and a pk changed, this is what i'm looking for. If it's not, ok, i'll reinstall it. Just want to know if there is a way.

Message 6 of 12

Ha Ha, you are caught by the same trap many others have fallen into, including myself.

I use ADN (developer network seats) and they used to be suites, as we have access to all products.

But not anymore, the suites are gone from ADN, and we must install the individual products.

I am a career acad programmer/support person and could not find an answer other than to uninstall and reinstall to change that darn product code.

It did not go well either, I installed one product out of order on accident (c3d before acad) and had to undo that.

Now I am reinstalling on another developers machine today and the acad is confused about things because I want to run acad as standalone using developer serial, but c3d as network seat for the moment.

In other words, hope you have good batch file automation skills because the uninstall tool failed for the 2015 version for me, no idea why.

2017 lets you change product code but I am about ready to make a stink about previous products as this whole game is screwed up.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 7 of 12
natasha.l
in reply to: labinfounivates

Hello @labinfounivates,

If you have a 2016 & older version a Clean Uninstall will be needed. If you have product 2017 & newer you can make the adjustment within the product 

Updating Your Serial Number Without Reinstalling Your Software

The Educational Master Suite discontinued the link provided will explain your options, if you are interested. 

Please "Accept As Solution" if a reply has helped resolved the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 8 of 12

No, the solution is not to reinstall if you have a network license.

My comment about developer network seats might have misled. ADN seats are standalone, always.

All you should have to do for network seats is update the lic server with new codes, that's it.

It turns out the lic server does not even care about the serial, last time I checked.

All it cares about is the product being a network install, no matter if it came from suite or not.

The solution is marked wrong by everything I have learned.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 9 of 12

Someone said before that the old Product Key and Serial Number work if i change the lic on the server (FLEXLM), but only until the old PK & SN expires.

My license is expiring on july, so i'll use the University winter break to reinstall the product because is hard to do on classes period. I can't risk.

Message 10 of 12
dariuszm
in reply to: natasha.l

Hi,

I have same issue, but the link bellow is out of date. Can You send new updated link?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/installation-activation-licensing/manage-licensing/l...

The problem is that I can't changed serial number because I can't start Inventor...

Message 11 of 12
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: dariuszm

@dariuszm

There are numerous Autodesk article links this morning/today ending up as being not found.

What version of Inventor are you talking about?

If prior to Inventor 2017 you will need to uninstall/reinstall to change the serial # and product key.

If 2017 or 2018, you can perform a license reset per this article:  https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/article/97331

However can you explain what you are trying to accomplish here?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 12 of 12
dariuszm
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

@Mark.Lancaster

Hey,

I'm working with Product Design Suite Premium 2017. I activate my software on wrong serial number. Now if i try to run Inventor 2017 there is request for activation code for wrong serial number (another user using it- it was used by me before). I want to give Inventor new serial number without reinstalation. I was trying to delete (cut it to different folder) files in mesioned by You article, but it doesn't help. Is there another solution? I think that if I can run Inventor just for a moment then I will be able to change serial number- unfortunately i can't start Inventor...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report